Bubu Palo confirms appeal denied by Board of Regents, plans for judicial review in district court

Iowa State’s Bubu Palo attempts a shot against Oklahoma State on Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones beat the Cowboys 87-76.

Alex Halsted

The Board of Regents denied the appeal of former ISU guard Bubu Palo on Wednesday, Dec. 4, Palo confirmed to the Daily in an email Thursday.

The board didn’t name the student whose appeal was denied, citing student privacy laws, but Palo said he has been notified it was his appeal.

“I was indeed informed that [my appeal] had been denied,” Palo said Thursday. “I now plan on bringing this to district court for judicial review.”

Iowa State announced Aug. 31 that Palo would no longer be a member of the ISU men’s basketball team. Palo was charged in September 2012 with second degree sexual abuse related to an incident in May 2012. Palo was originally suspended indefinitely pending the investigation, and when charges were dropped in January, he was reinstated.

While Palo was originally found innocent of a violation of the ISU Office of Judicial Affairs’ Student Code of Conduct, following an appeal during the summer, the decision was overturned by ISU President Steven Leath, and Palo was removed from the basketball team.

Palo appealed that decision to the Board of Regents, which was denied unanimously Wednesday following a closed session hearing. An ISU spokesperson said on Wednesday that Leath had “no additional comment on the board’s decision.”

According to the Student Code, a student’s last option following a hearing by the Board of Regents is to pursue judicial review as permitted by law. Tom Evans, legal counsel to the Board of Regents, said the decision can be moved to district court typically in 20 to 30 days, which Palo said Thursday that he plans to do.