Board of Regents denies appeal expected to be related to Bubu Palo

ISU redshirt junior Bubu Palo brings the ball up the court against Ohio State in the third round game of the NCAA tournament on Sunday, March 24, 2013, at the University of Dayton Arena.  The Cyclones came close to a two-seeded upset but fell in a last second shot by Ohio State’s Aaron Craft 75-78.

Alex Halsted

The Board of Regents denied the appeal of what is expected to be that of former ISU guard Bubu Palo on Wednesday.

Palo told the Daily on Wednesday his appeal to be reinstated by the Board of Regents was to be heard the same day. Only one student appeal was heard by the board Wednesday afternoon, and it was unanimously denied.

The board didn’t name the student whose appeal was denied, citing student privacy laws.

“What I can say is the board affirmed [ISU President Steven Leath’s] decision,” said Bruce Rastetter, president of the Board of Regents. “Under our rules on student privacy that the board has to operate under, we cannot deal with the detail … of naming a student.”

Iowa State announced Aug. 31 that Palo would no longer be a member of the ISU men’s basketball team. Palo was charged in September 2012 with second degree sexual abuse related to an incident in May 2012. Palo was originally suspended indefinitely pending the investigation, and when charges were dropped in January, he was reinstated.

Palo was originally also found innocent of a violation of the ISU Office of Judicial Affairs’ Student Code of Conduct, but after an appeal during the summer, the decision was overturned by ISU President Steven Leath, and Palo was removed from the basketball team.

An Iowa State spokesperson said Leath had “no additional comment on the board’s decision.”

Tom Evans, the regents’ general counsel, said the board would follow up and notify the student’s legal counsel as soon as Wednesday following the decision and the legal counsel would notify the student, expected to be Palo.

According to the Student Code, a student’s last option following a hearing by the Board of Regents is to pursue judicial review as permitted by law. Evans said the decision can be moved to district court typically in 20 to 30 days.

The Daily was not immediately able to reach Palo for comment Wednesday after the regents’ decision.

Daily reporter Danielle Ferguson contributed to this report.