Student set to direct ‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ at Nevada Winterfest

Courtesy of Zack Hackbarth

Zack Hackbarth, senior in English education, is directing “A Charlie Brown Christmas” for the Winter Fest in Nevada, Iowa.

Liz Cleaveland

Zack Hackbarth, senior in English education, discovered an extracurricular on the ISU job board that piqued his interest last year. Working with the parks and recreation department in Nevada, Iowa, Hackbarth is directing his second show for Nevada’s annual Winterfest.

Part of the city’s Winterfest celebration is the “Junior Theatre” program. A host of other ISU students have participated in the program along with Hackbarth.

A Charlie Brown Christmas,” based on the Charles Schulz animated special, will be performed by a cast of second- through sixth-graders. These kids are part of an after school program at the Gates Memorial Hall.

“The show rehearses two days a week, and I try to incorporate various acting games/activities into the rehearsals from time to time in addition to the preparation for the actual show,” Hackbarth said.

Aside from directing the show, Hackbarth is responsible for chaperoning the children, creating a lighting design and building the set.

“This is the first time many of the kids in my show have ever done theater, so my hope is to inspire them to continue exploring their interests in the arts throughout the rest of their school years,” Hackbarth said.

His career as a director began when he was in high school when he directed two plays; coincidentally, one of them was “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” Last year, he directed “Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus” for the Nevada community.

For most of us, juggling school and extracurricular activities can be difficult and time consuming.

“I’ve really enjoyed being a part of the theater program at ISU, though I haven’t had time to work on as many shows there as others have. I try to get involved with at least one show at ISU each year,” Hackbarth said.

Hackbarth yielded a sword in last year’s ISU production of “The Three Musketeers,” playing Aramis, one of the musketeers. The year before, he played Mr. Glimer in “To Kill A Mockingbird.”

“The theatrical work I’ve been doing in college is preparing me for my goal of being a drama director at a high school or middle school,” Hackbarth said.

Where: Gates Memorial Hall

When: Dec. 13 7 p.m. and Dec. 14 1 p.m.