Annual Band Extravaganza to fill Stephens with jazz, classics, school spirit

Photo: Blake Lanser/Iowa State Daily

As a part of every home football game, the ISU marching band performs before the Cyclone football players take the field.

Devin Wilmott

The ISU Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble I and ISU Cyclone Football “Varsity” Marching Band will perform at Iowa State’s annual Band Extravaganza Nov. 16 at Stephens Auditorium.

With more than 700 current band members at Iowa State and more than 40 years of tradition, the extravaganza brings more than 2,000 people to the 2,700 seat auditorium each year. Middle school and high school students from all across Iowa are drawn to the event along with many ISU alumni and students.

Each group will present various works along with a number of staging techniques that add to the atmosphere of the performance. The music will range from the classics of jazz to the spirit filled sounds of the marching band.

“If you have Cyclone spirit, this is an event you don’t want to miss,” said Michael Golemo, professor and chairman of Iowa State’s music department. Golemo has been a part of the department for 15 years and also directs the 60-member Wind Ensemble, Iowa State’s select concert band.

The extravaganza is not a typical formal concert. The audience is encouraged to be a part of the action and share its Cyclone pride with the performers. The pep rally-like event will bring the football field to the auditorium. The audience will be able to sing along with the fight song and take a moment of silence for the alma mater.

“The Extravaganza is really exciting and quite a show. Once you attend it, you go back every year,” Golemo said. “Playing at Stephens is kind of a unique venue; it’s not the place where you would do something very quiet and chamber like. … You do things that are big.”

Stephens was declared Iowa’s building of the century in 2004 by the American Institute of Architects. Located at Iowa State Center, Stephens hosts many concerts put on by Iowa State’s music department every year.

“Every group goes in knowing this is going to be a big audience and you really have to sell it,” Golemo said.

The extravaganza will be at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students and can be purchased at the door.