FINAL: Texas 31, Iowa State 30

Dylan Montz

The ISU football team fell in its Big 12 Conference opener to Texas 31-30 at Jack Trice Stadium on Thursday night.

ISU quarterback Sam Richardson passed 16-for-26 with 262 yards and two touchdowns while running back Aaron Wimberly rushed for 117 yards on 29 attempts with a touchdown on the ground and added a receiving touchdown.

Texas was able to begin the game by stopping the ISU quickly, forcing a three-and-out and score within the first three minutes of action.

On a third down and six play from the Texas 40-yard line, quarterback Case McCoy’s pass to Marcus Johnson was incomplete, but cornerback Jansen Watson was flagged for pass interference giving the Longhorns a first down. Two plays later, running back Johnathan Gray burst through the ISU front-seven for a 45-yard touchdown run giving the Longhorns a 7-0 lead early.

Texas would notch three more points after a James White fumble on the ISU 17-yard line. The Longhorns failed to convert on a third and six opportunity and settled for a 29-yard Anthony Fera field goal, giving Texas a 10-0 lead with 2:27 left in the first quarter.

Iowa State started to get going offensively after a 13-yard gain on a pass from Sam Richardson to tight end E.J. Bibbs and then another 13-yard pickup on the ground by Aaron Wimberly. On the third play of the second quarter, the Cyclones got on the board with a 37-yard field goal by Cole Netten.

After forcing a quick punt by Texas on the Longhorns’ next possession, Iowa State went on a 15 play, 92-yard drive that culminated in a 11-yard touchdown reception by Wimberly that tied the ball game at 10.

After a 41-yard field goal by Netten on the next ISU possession, Texas gained possession of the ball with 33 seconds left at its own 25-yard line. McCoy led the Longhorns down the field and threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to John Harris as time expired to give Texas a 17-13 lead at halftime.

On Iowa State’s second possession of the second half, Richardson completed a 97-yard touchdown pass to Quenton Bundrage. It was the longest pass play in ISU history and the longest play in Jack Trice Stadium history and it gave the Cyclones a 20-17 lead.

The Longhorns responded just more than two minutes later with a six-yard Joe Bergeron touchdown giving Texas the lead once again. Two pass interference plays in a row by true freshman cornerback Nigel Tribune moved the ball for Texas, setting up the Bergeron run.

Iowa State got things going once again in the fourth quarter with a 20-yard run by Wimberly, giving him his second touchdown of the night. Netten added another field goal with 3:40 left in the game to extend the ISU lead to 30-24.

Texas would once again regain the lead on a 1-yard touchdown keeper by McCoy with 51 seconds left and the Longhorns holding a 31-30 after a controversial call that ISU linebacker Jeremiah George did not recover a fumble by a Texas running back near the goal line.

After the Longhorns’ score, Iowa State made its final push to come back, but Richardson was picked off near midfield and Texas took a knee to end the game.

Check back with for more updates on Thursday’s game.