Senior Class Council holds Senior Week

Blake Dowson

The Senior Class Council, a committee that is a part of the Student Alumni Leadership Council, will be holding its semiannual Senior Week this week.

Every fall and spring semester, the Senior Class Council holds Senior Week in appreciation to all of the seniors on campus that are getting ready to graduate.

“We run it each semester as a celebration of the seniors and all the hard work they’ve done here at Iowa State,” said Maura Tobin, senior in supply chain management.

Senior Week is an important and special week for everybody on campus. The seniors have made it through the gauntlet and are well on their way to the ultimate goal of graduation, Tobin said. 

There will be free food on campus this Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., or until they run out of food, for all students with 90 or more credits.

There will also be special bar deals for seniors 21 years and older who purchase a senior package. Senior packages include a senior mug, shirt, koozie, carabiner bottle opener and an Alumni window cling for $10. The package can be purchased at the Alumni Center. All bar deals will be posted on the Iowa State Seniors Facebook page.

On Monday, pork burgers along with chips, cookies and lemonade will be served on Central Campus.

On Tuesday, there will be popcorn, lemonade and apple cider.

Wednesday is “Wieners for Seniors,” and hot dogs, chips, cookies and lemonade will be served.

Thursday will round out the Senior Week activities for the fall semester, and the Senior Class Council will be serving up a change of pace to end things.

“On Halloween we will be handing out candy for food on campus,” Tobin said. “All of Senior Class Council is going to dress up for it.” 

Seniors, along with all other students, are encouraged to participate in the Halloween festivities.

“I’ve got this great R2D2 costume from being a Dance Marathon recruitment and morale captain,” Tobin said. “I can’t use my arms, but I’m excited to get to wear it again.”

Senior Week is the Senior Class Council’s main event each year, but it also organizes events such as Senior Send Off and Real Life Answers in the spring. Senior Send Off is an annual event in the spring at Iowa State for seniors. There is free food, drinks, and live music each year.

Real Life Answers is an opportunity for seniors with any questions about life after graduation, such as student loan repayments and investing, to talk to past graduates of Iowa State and financial advisors.