Curtiss Hall celebrates renovations during dedication ceremony

Caitlin Deaver

With more than 700 donors who contributed to the Curtiss Hall renovations gathered in the Leonard and Evelyn Dolezal Auditorium, the Curtiss Hall dedication commenced on Tuesday, at Curtiss Hall.

“We are celebrating the renewal of one of the most beautiful and historic buildings on campus,” said Wendy Wintersteen, endowed dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. “Curtiss Hall is the very heart of our college and has been so for nearly 105 years. I’m proud to say the heart is beating strong and will do so for many, many years to come.”

Before remarks were made about the projects and the benefactors involved, there was a small ribbon-cutting ceremony, emphasizing the newly renovated auditorium.

The extent of the Curtiss Hall renovations had a far reach throughout the building.

“It has been a number of years in the process [of Curtiss Hall revamps], and you’re never quite sure how it’s going to look when it gets finished,” said David Acker, associate dean for the College of Agriculture. “It really was time for a complete face-lift.”

Acker was one of the main planners in the renovations of Curtiss Hall in 2006.

The most noticeable renovations were the Neil and Darlene Harl Commons, the Agricultural Entrepre-

neurship Initiative offices that overlook the Harl Commons, the Dolezal Auditorium and the student services mall.

Other renovations were basic touch-ups, adding an elevator and bathrooms, as well as trying to make Curtiss Hall as environmentally friendly as possible with different modifications.

“The building, in my opinion, did not really send the right signal about how important agriculture is to the state of Iowa and also to Iowa State University,” Acker said. “These renovations help us send a positive message. I think it’s a strong signal from ISU that agriculture and the roots of ISU are really strong.

“We have not abandoned our traditions. In fact, we’re confident this will be an essential college and an essential area of study for the next century.”

Wintersteen is proud of the Curtiss Hall renovations for their impact in the students’ lives.

“I think the renovations are fabulous,” Wintersteen said. “[They] really provide a place for students to be engaged with each other in Curtiss Hall. The Harl Commons has many areas for students to sit down and grab something to eat or work together.”

Wintersteen also said the renovations meet the needs of students now and in the future.

“The financial commitments that [benefactors] have generously made to the facilities of this great institution add volume to the message the College of Agriculture sends,” said Bethany Olson, senior in agricultural business.

After remarks were made by university officials, everyone went to the basement to view the Harl Commons. Tours throughout the building were available to those who made donations, so they could see where their contributions went.

In the Harl Commons, another ribbon-cutting ceremony occurred, welcoming donators to the new area and also celebrating the Harls’ generosity.

The Harls, two Cyclone alumni, said they decided to fund the project because they wanted to give future generations all the opportunities they had when they attended college, stemming from a deep love of Iowa State.

“Deep down, it was an attempt to try and pay back Iowa State for what it had done for [my wife and me],” said Neil Harl, professor emeritus.

After two years of construction, Curtiss Hall renovations are tying up its loose ends, providing a more modern building for students to enjoy.

“Iowa State University is a wonderful place to spend one’s life,” Harl said. “I could not have had a more pleasant place to spend my career than here at ISU.”

Remarks were made at the ribbon cutting by: Wintersteen; Bruce Rastetter, president of the Board of Regents; Steven Leath, ISU president; Harl; Acker; Olson; and Roger Neuhaus, president and chief executive officer of the ISU Foundation.