Coming Out Week

Greg Zwiers

Events are being held Monday through Friday to celebrate the coming out process and the LGBT community. 

Coming Out Day is Friday to commemorate the march on Washington for lesbian and gay rights on Oct. 11, 1987.  The week will have events for activism, education and celebration of coming out and being out in the LGBT community. 

Members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Alliance will be tabling outside the blood drive 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Thursday to bring attention to FDA policies regarding gay men. 

According to the Food and Drug Administration website, men who have had sex with men since 1977 are not allowed to give blood.  Women who have had sex with men who have had sex with men are also deferred from giving blood. 

The FDA website says they defer these individuals because they are a group that has a higher risk for HIV, Hepatitis B and other infections that can be transferred through blood.

“It is a hotly debated current topic and the LGBTAA is tabling to bring awareness to it,” said Sarah Miller, senior in genetics and officer for the Alliance.  Miller called the policy that the FDA has been using since 1978 discriminatory.

The blood drive will be at the Great Hall in the Memorial Union from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday according to their page on the ISU website: http://www.blooddrive.stuorg.iastate.edu/.

On Tuesday, the Greek Community Safe Chapter Town Hall Meeting will be from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at 124 Ross Hall.  Thomas Arce, graduate student in education, will be presenting the results of a survey the Office of Greek Affairs conducted in Spring 2013.

The survey was designed to gauge attitudes in the greek community toward LGBT students, Arce said. The survey was given to the entire greek community, and 1710 students, over half, responded.

“The meeting is to give the details of the results,” Arce said.

Survey questions were designed to give data on fraternities, sororities and the greek community as a whole.

Arce said he wants the meeting to mirror the Safe Zone 101 training that Brad Freihoefer leads for faculty and staff.  The meeting will discuss scenarios specific to the greek community and LGBT students. 

The Out and Craftacular poster making session will be on Tuesday as well in the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services Center in the Student Services building.  The posters are to be used at Iowa State’s Coming Out Rally on Friday, Miller said.

Freihoefer will be leading a session on coming out as part of the Out 2 Lunch Series on Wednesday in the LGBTSS Center.  Students and facilitators will share why coming out is important to them and why it is important to the ISU community as well, Freihoefer said.

“Maybe it will inspire some folks and make it easier for people to come out on campus,” Freihoefer said. 

Facilitators will share resources with the attendees and delve into what coming out really is, Freihoefer said.

“There’s a lot of complexities in coming out,” Freihoefer said.  He said helping students deal with coming out matters because it can be very scary and frightening, and some students can really be in a bind with their social situation.

The Alliance will have the Alliance Dance Party from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesday at 268 Carver Hall.  Freihoefer said students are encouraged to wear white shirts, bring a highlighter and dance under the blacklights.

For students who want to meet in a more serious meeting on Wednesday, there will be a session in 290 Carver Hall for students to discuss the coming out process and share individual stories, Miller said.

On Thursday, the LGBT Faculty and Staff Association will be meeting for lunch at the Memorial Union Maintenance Shop from noon to 1 p.m.

Gamma Rho Lambda sorority will be screening Two Sprits, a documentary about gender identity, from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the LGBTSS Center, Miller said.  After the film, there will be a discussion session.

Iowa State’s Coming Out Rally will be in the Free Speech Zone outside Parks Library from noon to 1 p.m. on Friday. 

The rally will be on the 26th anniversary of the march on Washington for lesbian and gay rights. 

Students will bring the signs from the Tuesday poster making session and share why coming out is important to them and why it is important to the ISU community, Freihoefer said. 

“We stand in the Free Speech Zone to promote awareness of Coming Out Week and show pride in the LGBT community,” Miller said.

Blake Miller, sophomore in physics and LGBTAA president said the rally is not only for LGBT students but for allies as well.  He said he wants people to know they can come out as allies in support of the LGBT community.