Emily Goldstein, Koree Willer power ISU soccer in Big 12 stretch

Brian Achenbach/Iowa State Daily

No. 2 freshman forward Koree Willer fights for possession during Iowa State’s 2-1 loss to Texas Tech on Sept. 27 at the Cyclone Sports Complex.

Alex Gookin

The last week has not been traditional for ISU midfielder Emily Goldstein.

After all, it is not very common to score three goals on a Sunday and then score a game-winning overtime goal five days later to power the ISU soccer team to two Big 12 wins.

The senior has received some extra attention throughout last week, including being named College Sports Madness Women’s Soccer Big 12 Player of the Week for her hat trick against Oklahoma. Goldstein also tweeted that a professor singled her out in class, congratulating her on her game-winning goal against Baylor.

“Yeah, I’ve been getting a little bit more attention,” Goldstein said with a laugh. “I think more people are noticing the soccer team, which is really cool because we are pretty good and people are starting to notice that.”

The team’s success lies heavily on Goldstein. Her four goals in three games gave the Cyclones their first two-game Big 12 win streak in three seasons and brought the team’s record to 8-7-2.

Goldstein is known as the vocal leader of the team who creates opportunities to score when they may not otherwise be there. But an important key to her recent scoring burst is quite the opposite.

Freshman Koree Willer is Goldstein’s quiet sidekick, who has fed the ball to Goldstein in three of her last four goals. The two have scored all five of the team’s goals against Oklahoma and Baylor and racked up 15 points with Willer’s assists.

“Goldy [Goldstein] is very verbal — she talks a ton — and that communication has been huge to have,” Willer said. “[She] has made it so much easier to transition from high school to college and has helped me with her experience.”

The two have combined for 10 goals and nine assists this season. Their 29 combined points make up almost 40 percent of the team’s total.

The two lead every statistical category on the team, with Goldstein leading goals (six), points (15), shots (40) and shots on goal (17). Willer leads the Cyclones in assists (six) and is tied with Goldstein in game-winning goals (three).

“Those two have definitely figured out how to play together,” said ISU coach Wendy Dillinger. “It takes time playing together to develop that chemistry … but it’s a great time for that to be happening.”

The connection has been prominent off the field as well. Willer, described by Dillinger as quiet, took a bit more time to get comfortable than the more outgoing Goldstein, but has settled in as a freshman leader.

Goldstein and Willer have grown closer through senior and freshman dinner events, as well. Goldstein credits the relaxing off-field team togetherness with some of the team’s recent success.

“We have dinner every Wednesday which started about a month ago, so I think that we’ve gotten really close,” Goldstein said. “I think that has helped all the freshman and seniors on and off the field. I think we are a very tight-knit team.”

Winning can also help team unity, and with the successes of this season and the opportunity to play in its first Big 12 tournament, Dillinger feels the team has a glue it has never had before. With only two games in the regular season remaining, she hopes the bond is tighter than ever.

As the season winds to a close, Willer realizes the connection she has with Goldstein will also be over. With the help of her freshman class, she’s ready to take on the leadership role Goldstein played on the team.

“It’s going to be tough,” Willer said. “I’ve been really fortunate to come into a team that has that connection. It’s going to be important that our freshman class can keep that going so we can keep on this good note that we are on.”