John Deere to host information day for students

Caitlin Deaver

Sleek, green tractors and other types of farm machinery have made their way onto campus for an eventful day at Iowa State.

This Monday, Sept. 16, is John Deere Day. This is the first year the event has taken place, and it will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Two tents will be set up on campus; one will be near the Marston Water Tower, geared more toward engineering students, and one will be on the lawn of Central Campus, geared more toward students in business and liberal arts and sciences.

“We hope the students who might not know exactly what John Deere does get to know a little more about the company,” said Jason Dalhoff, financial analyst at John Deere. “As students come around to our tents we have set up, we will be able to answer any questions they may have about John Deere.”

At each tent location, John Deere equipment will be set up for interested students to view. There will be “Minute-To-Win-It” games and other interactive resources that are planned for students. Snacks and beverages will be provided throughout the event in both tents.

Staff from John Deere will be available at both locations to answer questions and interact with students. Students can also learn about career opportunities offered at John Deere.

John Deere Day is an opportunity for students interested in working at John Deere after graduation or for students who simply come from a farm background and would like to know more about the company.

“John Deere likes those Midwest values, and Iowa State University shares those same values,” Dalhoff said. “That type of student, we think, fits well within our organization.”

Engineering students are the primary focus of John Deere Day.

“As a manufacturing company, we are always in need of engineers to bring into our company,” Dalhoff said.

Though John Deere Day’s purpose is to mainly attract and interest engineering students, John Deere will be returning for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences’ fall career fair on Tuesday, Oct. 15. It will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Lied Recreation Athletic Center.

The career fair is the largest agricultural career fair in the nation, attracting more than 200 employers. John Deere has consistently been one of those employers and a contributor to the College of Agriculture high employment rate after graduation.

“We have been recruiting at Iowa State for many, many years,” Dalhoff said. “We’ve gotten a great amount of talent from ISU in the past and hope to keep getting that talent in the future. This is our way of giving back to the university.”