Like a broken record: Jobe, Cyclones stay unbeaten against Panthers

No. 21 Adalie Schmidt, No. 12 Madi Ott, No. 32 goalie Maddie Jobe and No. 14 Meredith Skitt prepare to defend a corner kick late in the game during Iowa State’s 3-0 loss to Iowa on Sept. 6, 2013, at the Iowa Soccer Complex in Iowa City.

Alex Gookin

WATERLOO, Iowa — A chilly, windy evening is not a goalkeeper’s best friend. The least mobile position on the field struggles to keep warm as she waits for a wind-aided, boomerang-like shot to drift past her.

ISU goalkeeper Maddie Jobe never had that nightmarish scenario play out as she walked off the field Friday with a 2-0 win against Northern Iowa. The senior did not even record a save as the Panthers never fired a shot.

No matter the circumstances, Jobe etched herself in the Cyclone record books with her 17th career shutout, passing Ann Gleason for the school record.

“It’s cool, it’s a cool feeling,” Jobe said. “It’s nice to know I’ve done something here. It’s an accomplishment for me and I’m really happy about it.”

In a game controlled by the ISU offense for much of the first half and chunks of the second half, Jobe was often the only player on her half of the field.

The defensive line played so far up that Iowa State defender Kourtney Camy was able to rip a shot from more than 30 yards out that hit the back of the net for her first goal of the season.

Defender Jessica Reyes had her shot blocked by the UNI goalkeeper, but added an assist off a corner kick in the first half.

“All they do is run back and forth and play both offense and defense,” said forward Koree Willer of the defense. “I give huge credit to them. They are the reason for a lot of our chances.”

Willer recorded a goal of her own off Reyes’ corner kick. As the ball crossed the field, it deflected off a Panther defender right at Willer’s feet as she tapped it in from point-blank range.

The goal may not have been as difficult as her other two goals this season, but it was a little sweeter as the freshman celebrated her 19th birthday on the same day.

“It feels great,” Willer said. “I couldn’t have asked for anything better on my birthday.”

Lost in the record-breaking and birthday performance headlines was Iowa State’s unblemished record against Northern Iowa. The Cyclones walked away with their ninth program win against the Panthers with no losses.

The seniors left Waterloo with a 3-0 record against Northern Iowa in their careers. As Jobe and Reyes left their mark for the final time against the Panthers, the freshmen left the biggest impact according to ISU coach Wendy Dillinger.

Both goals scored against the Panthers were by freshmen and the end of the second half saw a very young Cyclone lineup. Dillinger sees the freshmen as keys to success heading into Big 12 play starting Friday.

As for the importance of the win, it took only one look at the Cyclone sideline to see smiling faces and sighs of relief. 

“We needed this win,” Dillinger said. “This game was big, just being in the state with the rivalry. I thought [Northern Iowa] came out and gave us some trouble in the second half, but we stayed composed.”