Students, faculty prepare for cold weather as autumn approaches

Jaslyn Clark/Iowa State Daily

A brisk fall breeze requires Whitney Pittman, a freshman with an open option major, to zip up her jacket while walking past Lake Lavern.

William Byal

As the leaves begin to change color and fall from trees around campus, students begin to slip on their jackets in preparation for the coming fall weather.

William Gallus, professor of geological and atmospheric sciences, said the current weather will probably last through most of next week, but Iowa could see the next freeze as early as two weeks from now.

Due to Iowa’s position in the middle of the continent, it is subject to more volatile weather.

“When October starts, I think the average daytime temperature can still be in the high 60s to around 70 [degrees],” Gallus said.

Madeline Wingert, community adviser in Friley Hall, said students can prepare for Iowa’s fall weather by bringing warm clothes from home as soon as possible. She also encourages the use of sweatshirts and jeans for colder days.

Students who are not native to Iowa might be unaware of the weather changes that occur from summer to fall.

“It’s always colder than it looks,” said Nick Wentz, junior in aerospace engineering from Omaha. “Don’t base the temperature on how much sun is shining.”

Gallus said it is crucial for students to follow the forecast to prepare for unexpected weather.

“I think for someone new to Iowa, I would emphasize that our weather can go quickly from uncomfortably hot, to uncomfortably cold,” Gallus said. “In October, we’ve had days in the 90s where everybody would complain that it was way too hot. We’ve also had snow and nights getting down into the teens.”

Gallus said students could be surprised when a pleasantly sunny day gives way to harsh winds and blowing rain, rendering their shorts and jacket ineffective.

“Normal in Iowa is more of a roller coaster,” Gallus said.

Wingert said the drastic change in weather often spurs illness among students.

“When you live in a residence hall, one person gets sick and everyone gets sick. It spreads like wildfire,” Wingert said.

She suggested students maintain proper health by drinking a lot of water throughout the day.

Damian Chimes, a study abroad student from Australia, plans on waiting until it gets colder before he goes out and buys new clothes. In Sydney, the average temperature during fall is 50 degrees.

“We call it autumn in Sydney; it cools down a little bit, but it stays pretty mellow, and you can still go to the beach every other weekend,” said Chimes.

“It’s going to be exciting to see snow on the ground; I’ve never seen snow in Sydney.”