Football adds South Florida transfer D’Vario Montgomery

Dylan Montz

ISU quarterback Sam Richardson has a new, yet familiar, weapon at wide receiver.

D’Vario Montgomery, a redshirt freshman wide receiver from South Florida, decided to transfer to Iowa State and signed a financial aid agreement Wednesday. Montgomery, per NCAA transfer rules, will sit out the 2013 season.

“We are thrilled to have D’Vario join the Iowa State football team,” said ISU coach Paul Rhoads in a news release. “He is a big play receiver who will fit in tremendously with our needs at that position. He has a chance for a very successful career at Iowa State with his skill-set and size.”

Montgomery, a native of Winter Park, Fla. — and high school teammate of Richardson — came to Iowa State after one season at South Florida where he caught six passes for 65 yards.

Rated as a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, Montgomery had 96 receptions for 1,662 yards and 21 touchdowns in his final two years for Winter Park High School. Montgomery’s breakout season was his junior year as he tallied 1,100 yards and 15 touchdowns with 45 receptions.

Richardson was the Winter Park quarterback during Montgomery’s junior campaign, which played a role in the receiver’s decision to transfer to Iowa State.

“It’s a fresh new start, and I’m excited to get there with Sam to finish up the chemistry we had in high school,” Montgomery said in a news release. “This is a once in a lifetime thing and a blessing. It’s something I had to take a chance on because he’s my quarterback.”