Editorial: Students need voice for Campustown changes

Kingland Systems, located in Campustown on Lincoln Way, recently released its plan to redevelop parts of Campustown, including Charlie Yoke’s and down to Cranford Apartments.

At Tuesday night’s City Council meeting, council members discussed Kingland Systems’ intent to demolish and redevelop parts of Campustown. Buildings from Charlie Yoke’s all the way to the Cranford Apartments are included in this project plan.

Kingland Systems bought these and other buildings in December 2012 but didn’t make or release its plan for redevelopment until summer of 2013.

Spencer Hughes, president of the Government of the Student Body, requested City Council delay any immediate action pertaining to the Kingland project in order to give students a chance to voice their opinion on the plans.

Much of the discussion about Kingland Systems’ plans for the earlier purchased area took place over the summer, when most students were not in Ames. Even students who did occupy Ames during the summer session knew very little about the demolition project.

Whether or not Campustown needs the proposed facelift is an entirely separate topic. The real issue is the lack of communication about the Kingland plan and the importance of student involvement in the Ames community. As part of the city of Ames, students deserve a chance to voice their opinions on such large projects.

Students at Iowa State have come to expect a certain type of college experience from their time at the university. This includes on-campus facilities, but for many it also includes some of the off-campus features in Ames such as the Campustown businesses and atmosphere.

As Iowa State is separate from the businesses that make up Campustown, it can in no way guarantee the benefits of Campustown to its students. Regardless, incoming students and returners alike have come to expect to be able to enjoy the variety of bars, shops and other locations in Campustown.

Whether or not Campustown is part of a student’s college experience, it is definitely a part of their life as an Ames resident. Of Ames’s approximately 59,000 residents, the ISU student body makes up about 50 percent of the population, at least when fall and spring semesters are in session. As such, a large part of the community, students deserve a voice in local happenings, especially in something as large as the renovation of Campustown.

The fact that the area is colloquially referred to as Campustown proves how inextricable the businesses in that area are from Iowa State. The success of the shops and restaurants are tied to the ebb and flow of student population and interest.

Because of this, the city and Kingland System’s decision to plan the majority of this program over the summer seems, if not purposely malign, at least ignorant to the wishes of a part of the Ames community.

The City Council meeting is already over, but it is by no means too late to express individual opinion on the matter.

The easiest way to effectively influence the direction of the Kingland program is through social media. The biggest issue here is students were unaware of the plan and thus unable to do anything about it. By posting or tweeting about it, no matter how a person feels about the redevelopment, it gets the word out there and enables other students to make a difference.

Additionally, though the meeting adjourned last night, the members of City Council are still reachable. Members of the council will be at ISU’s WelcomeFest, which takes place 5:30 to 9 p.m. Wednesday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Members can also be reached easily by email. Information about City Council members can be found at the following address: www.cityofames.org/index.aspx?page=174

As constituents of the Ames community, it is not only the students’ right but also their responsibility to voice their opinion about issues such as this. Whether they are for or against redevelopment, few people can argue that the Ames student body will not be affected by this large Campustown demolition.