Six female deans in Iowa State

Lisa Nolan, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine, is the fifteenth dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine and its first female dean. Iowa State was founded in 1879 as the first public veterinary school in the United States.

Kimberly Woo

Iowa State is a research one institution and has a total of six female deans over a total of seven colleges plus the library that are currently serving this university.

The position of deans, especially in a land grant, science and technology university such as Iowa State, has been historically seen as male dominated positions.

The search of a dean was further explained by Jonathan Wickert, senior vice president and provost said, “we don’t start out with the notion of hiring a particular person or hiring a female dean, it’s a competitive process and we’re excited that those searches that we have in the past to hiring deans has led to a very diverse team of deans.”

The diversity commitment of the university is clearly shown through its female deans.

“President Leath is strongly committed to diversity, equity and inclusion at the university and that includes students, faculty and staff,” Wickert said.

Wickert believes that Iowa State is one of the land grant universities around to have the highest number of female deans available, if not, the highest.

Wickert said that the female deans in Iowa State not only bring a different point of view on issues in their disciplines, but also, serve as powerful role models especially to the female students.

Beate Schmittmann, dean of the college of liberal arts and sciences said, “ I think it’s really cool, I really enjoy being a dean. It’s been very, very interesting, very challenging, intellectually challenging and I’ve really enjoyed it.”

Schmittmann said that she learns from people successful aspects in life. She thrives on the diversity of daily experiences, challenges and responsibilities.

Persistence is the way to go in pursuing your dream and always put yourself to a challenge and aim high, Schmittmann said.

Pamela White, dean of the college of human sciences said, “[She is] very proud and it’s an honor to be a dean, it’s also fun and you work very hard. It’s a pleasure an honor and has many rewards.”

White said, that her strive for excellence is what drives her.

“Always take the scary opportunity, when the door opens, walk through it, and don’t be afraid to try out new things and new challenges cause if you never challenge yourself to do something that’s kind of scary, you’ll never going to be able to expand your horizons and move forward,” White said.

White also said that because of the sacrifices and support given to her by her supportive family, has allowed her to be able to do what she is doing now.

Wendy Wintersteen, dean of the college of agriculture and life sciences said, “I’ve have an extraordinary opportunity to get to serve as the dean of the college of agriculture and life sciences, this really is a servant leadership position.”

Wintersteen said that her inspiration comes from interacting with her students and the commitment of her faculty and staff. Her spouse, close friends, parents and mentors have all played a part in her success today.

Honesty with yourself and pursuing what you are truly interested in will lead you to “a life and a career that you [would] enjoy everyday,” Wintersteen said.

Olivia Madison, dean of the library said that she feels very proud to be one of the female deans.

“Take advantage of every opportunity you get because you’ll never know where it’ll take you, and give your best, do your very best,” Madison said. “Enjoy all your moments, and try to make a difference.”

Kaye Gapen and Nancy Eaton are two significant women that have played a large role in the successful life of Madison.

“Aim high by giving back, and helping others gain their success,” is one piece of advice that Madison would give to the fellow students.

Madison said that the Parks Library has never been used as much as it is being used now in the library’s history.

Lisa Nolan, dean of the college of veterinary medicine said, “I feel pretty fortunate [to be a dean in Iowa State].”

Nolan has a passion in training and guiding students to the right path in their lives for it is very rewarding. She stated that she really enjoys research too.

Nolan’s inspirations to being successful are through the profession of a veterinarian itself, the students, mentors, her family, her love for science, animals and always wanting to make things better.

The top-notch expectation that is implied to the Iowa State graduates that the college of veterinary medicine has to deliver is inspiring yet frightening, Nolan said.

Nolan said that, there are no shortcuts in life, the most difficult training will produce the best result, work hard, admit and learn from your mistakes, obtain help and advice from people, hone your skills – for it is all worth it.

Sarah Rajala, dean of the college of engineering said she is thrilled to be in Iowa State and is looking forward to work with the people of the university’s strong engineering college.

“You have to figure out what you’re passionate about,” Rajala said. “At each step I always try to do the very best I could, look at what the opportunities were at each stage along the way.”

Rajala’s colleagues, mentors and family member have been the inspiration and the reason behind her success today.

One should always do their best, don’t be afraid to ask questions and have a group of people that you trust and can turn to in times of need, Rajala said.