Student Union Board talks about 2013-14 plans

Cole Komma

Some changes are coming up in the near future for the Student Union Board at Iowa State. 

SUB will continue to provide students with diverse entertainment next fall and will also be continuing their Hilton Coliseum shows, but will be changing genres. Next fall, instead of a concert, SUB will book a larger-name comedian to perform at Hilton.

“The whole point of the program was change up the genre of performer,” said George Micalone, director of student activities. “We’ve done hip-hop, country, indie/alternative, some rock. We had a smaller rock band with Need to Breathe and then a small comedian in the spring. Sure enough, we’re starting back over again.”

Seth Meyers, Demetri Martin and Andy Samberg are just a few of the names SUB has mentioned as possible candidates for the Hilton show.

“I was really stoked to see Andy Samberg come up as an option,” said Mitch Kenne, National Events coordinator for SUB. “Hopefully that’ll follow through.”

To start the year off strong, SUB tries to draw a crowd with a well-known comedian and offer more comedy sprinkled throughout the semester.

“We always try to do a bigger comedian to start off the semester. For the last two years we’ve done College Humor live and Comedy Central on campus,” Micalone said. “Comedy we always try to do actively. Three years ago we had Bo Burnham. Nick Offerman was the last notable name comedian we’ve had. It’s time for comedy again.”

Co-M-Shop Director George Potter has assured that there will be a good mix of genres and local acts in the Maintenance Shop next season as well.

Potter noted that a second show time will be added for pop star Aaron Carter, who will be playing Oct. 4, 2013, due to the 8 p.m. show being sold out.

Tickets for the 10 p.m. Aaron Carter show are on sale now.