CyGuide: Leader profiles

Katie Grunewald

Spencer Hughes, a senior in speech communication, was elected the Government of Student Body present alongside Vice President Hilary Kletscher.

Hughes is an avid Cyclone Athletics supporter, and is involved with KURE 88.5 on campus. Hughes thinks all ISU students should get involved as much as they can.

Since Hughes was a freshman, he has been a part of the GSB Senate, Dance Marathon, Iowa State Singers and KURE.

Dan Rediske, senior in computer science, is the Finance Director of the Government of Student Body.

Every student at Iowa State is charged a student activity fee that totals around $35. This money goes to GSB and gives them the power to fund nearly $2 million in projects for ISU students.

Rediske was appointed Finance Director in April 2013, and is eager to start benefiting students.

Rediske was previously a GSB Senator and is very involved with Veishea. Rediske had the opportunity to meet most of the artists that performed at Live @ Veishea in April.

Mayor Ann Campbell has been in Ames for 46 years.

“Ames has been my home for many years, and it is a community filled with good people, great hope, and tremendous promise. It is my privilege to give back to this city by serving as mayor because I believe in its future,” Campbell said on the City of Ames website.

Campbell began her time as mayor on January 3, 2006, and was re-elected as mayor in 2010. She has lived in Ames since 1967.

Ames City Council Member Matthew Goodman is also a local business owner. Goodman has lived in Ames since he was a freshman at Iowa State in 1991.

“I came to ISU because of its great science reputation and the beauty of the Iowa State campus; I stay in Ames because of this community’s willingness to value the great diversity of its citizens, and continually challenge itself to be a greater place,” Goodman said in his council member profile.

Goodman owns Fighting Burrito on Welch Avenue, Gyros and Smiles and Superdog. Goodman graduated with a bachelor’s degree in chemistry, and later a master’s in biochemistry.