Henry: How to survive mid-college crisis

Katie Henry

We often hear college graduates reminisce and gloat about their glory days and how they grew from timid freshmen to seniors feeling on top of the world. We hear all about the friendships we’ll make, the class we’ll more often than not skip and the wonderful feeling of independence that comes with our college days.

What nobody tells us about is the terrifying mid-college crisis that hits somewhere in between sophomore and senior year. For any students who actually have their heads on straight and are unfamiliar with the term, a mid-college crisis isn’t where we run out and buy a fancy new vehicle (because let’s face it, we can barely afford our diet of macaroni and cheese).

A mid-college crisis is the time period where we become absolutely overwhelmed with frustration and fear after they realize that graduation is imminent. Choosing a career path is inevitable, and although we’re set in our chosen majors, maybe we haven’t actually chosen a specific career path.

The mid-college crisis typically comes in two forms: irrational fear of the real world or having no idea what you want to do with your life. If you’re like me, the idea of graduate school adding to the already staggering pile of student loans makes my stomach churn every day. Soon, we’re going to realize that our parents will eventually stop buying us groceries and doing our laundry when we go home. We’ll have to learn how to cook something other than ramen.

Some mid-college crises result in people completely changing their career path. This happened to me when I left the apparel, merchandising and design program for journalism and political science. Thankfully, I am much happier where I am. However, I am still stuck in the rut where I don’t have concrete career goals, nor have I gotten over my fear of one day living on my own.

The fear of higher education is another component of a mid-college crisis. With some majors, it’s difficult to find a job without a graduate degree (political science, sociology, etc.). Once this fear creeps up on students it can deter them from staying with their course of study and goals of graduate school, even if they are good at it and enjoy what they’re studying. If you’re passionate about what you’re already doing or studying, stick with it. You’ll thank yourself later when you have a career that is fulfilling rather than one you hate, even if it pays well.

For younger students who are already suffering through the first signs of a mid-college crisis, it’s important not to slip into bad habits like procrastination. Once they become habits, it’s incredibly difficult to shake them and can be extremely detrimental to your college success. You can think about it as much as you want, but nothing will come unless you take action and stay proactive and responsible.

Another hurdle for younger students is finding their path. Again, choose something that you’re passionate about. Surround yourself with people who can hold you accountable, encourage you and support you as you form your path.

It certainly doesn’t help that we’re constantly reminded of high unemployment rates. However, it’s important to stay proactive. Clean up your resume and find what you need to focus on in order to be successful as you finish your college career. Whether it’s improving your grades, working on time management, or getting your plan for the future as solid as possible, focus on yourself and making the most out of your collegiate experience. Remember that you are not alone. There are thousands of students going through the same mid-college crisis as you. Reach out to a friend and you can make it through your journeys together.

Katie Henry is a senior in journalism and mass communication and political science from Pella, Iowa.