Fuse put out despite early victories for Cyclones


Photo: Jonathan Krueger/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt sophomore Kyven Gadson attacks Oklahoma State’s Blake Rosholt’s legs in their match on Feb. 3, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum.  Gadson won his match 3-1 in the Cyclones’ 9-25 loss.

Jake Calhoun

The fuse was lit early for the ISU wrestling team, but that didn’t mean much against the No. 2 team in the country.

Iowa State (6-4, 1-2 Big 12) had a 6-3 lead against No. 2 Oklahoma State after three matches but lost three straight en route to a 25-9 dual loss.

“Our guys, they’re going out there and they’re fighting,” said ISU coach Kevin Jackson. “They’re fighting and that’s all we ask because eventually their skill level will take over.”

After a close 3-0 loss by No. 20 Tanner Weatherman to No. 1 Chris Perry at 174 pounds, Boaz Beard lit said fuse with his upset of No. 10 Chris Chionuma at 184.

Beard’s counterattacks worked to fruition in the match, allowing him to take advantage of Chionuma’s positioning after failed shots to his legs.

Thirty seconds into the third period, Chionuma nearly secured the takedown position with Beard on his back while trailing 5-1. However, Beard was able to keep his cool.

“He tried to hit a lateral drop on me and for a second I thought he was going to get me,” Beard said of that moment. “I wrestled through the position and ended up on top scoring.”

Another upset carried the Cyclones to a 6-3 lead, as Kyven Gadson turned in his second win against a higher-ranked wrestler this weekend.

At 197 pounds, Gadson took down Rosholt with seven seconds remaining in regulation to win 3-1 two days after he defeated No. 7 Jake Meredith of Arizona State by a 9-1 major decision.

“Actually I don’t even know what happened,” Gadson said of takedown. “Boaz told me that I did a reshot, so I guess I just was reacting.”

Shoulder issues were plaguing Gadson early on, making him more cautious and less-willing to take shots in the early moments of the match.

“He hasn’t told me he’s not all right,” Jackson said of Gadson. “I know he tweaked it a little bit on Friday … but I just think every now and then the lack of matches just kind of rears it head for Kyven.” 

Matt Gibson was primed for overtime against No. 3 Alan Gelogaev at heavyweight when he notched a takedown to tie the score 5-5 in the closing minutes of regulation.

However, the officiating crew ruled that since Gelogaev had a hold on Gibson’s ankle, the takedown could not be awarded until he officially let go with eight seconds remaining. Because of this, Gelogaev maintained his one-minute riding time advantage to earn the deciding point.

“We thought Matt Gibson should have gotten the takedown,” Jackson said. “If he would have gotten a takedown seven seconds before they called it, we erase the riding time, we go into overtime, and we’re on a little bit of a roll. I mean, we’re making a comeback and we see the momentum shifting.”

Gibson’s loss was the first of three that propelled the Cowboys (13-0, 3-0) to a 16-6 lead that killed momentum following an injury default by John Meeks at 133 pounds.

Jackson said Meeks has a leg injury but declined to divulge any more information.

“Once I noticed that he was 100 percent, I pulled him out of there,” Jackson said. “We need him for the rest of the year, but he’s a kid that wanted to wrestle so bad and we thought we were in a position to possibly get an upset in the dual and in that match.”