GSB president addresses offensive tweets at KU basketball player

Photo: Blake Lanser/Iowa State D

President Jared Knight addresses questions from the senators in regards to the bills at hand. One bill brought up for discussion was no longer requiring ISU students to pay the 19.7 percent tuition set aside.

Katie Grunewald

The Government of the Student Body president, Jared Knight, released a statement last night concerning two ISU students’ offensive tweets at a member of the men’s basketball team from the University of Kansas.

“At approximately 10:45 p.m on Monday, Feb. 25, two Iowa State students began tweeting a series of reprehensible and disgusting messages toward the University of Kansas basketball team and one player in particular,” said the statement released by Knight.

“Though the individuals’ accounts have been deleted, those messages contained threats of violence as well as derogatory, racial slurs.”

At the GSB meeting Feb. 27, 2013, Knight told the senate he had three issues with the men’s basketball game on Feb. 25, 2013, at Hilton Coliseum.

“Its very frustrating and embarrassing coming from students at this university,” Knight said at the meeting regarding the tweets sent to Kansas basketball player Elijah Johnson.

There were several tweets sent from the two ISU students, both threatening his personal safety and using racial slurs. 

“One is assault, and one is just disgusting,” Knight said. “They’re both violations of the student conduct code.”

One of the GSB senators asked Knight what he thought the repercussions would be for those students.

“I don’t think they will be expelled,” Knight said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if they were suspended.”

Knight expressed disbelief at the actions of the students on social media.

“That there are people who still think, talk and act like these students is stunning to me,” Knight said. “It sadly reminds us that there is much work to do in eliminating racism and violence from our society.  These individuals are a disgrace to our student body and our university, and we sincerely apologize to everyone affected by this incident.”

Knight also addressed the overselling of student season tickets and the various objects thrown on to the court at the end of the basketball game.

“If you guys are at games in the future in that situation, I hope you guys will step in because that’s not acceptable,” Knight said to the GSB senators.

Knight also an included an apology on behalf of all ISU students in his statement.

“I apologize to Elijah Johnson, the students at the University of Kansas and anyone else who read these hateful and disgusting tweets,” Knight said. “I am embarrassed to be associated with these individuals, and I unequivocally condemn their statements. “

President Knight’s full statement can be read at http://www.gsb.iastate.edu/wordpress/?p=401

Public Relations Chair Zachary Bauer spoke at the GSB meeting about the low retention rate of GSB senators. At the beginning of the spring semester, there were 15 open Senate seats.

Bauer said they are holding exit interviews, reviewing current GSB senator requirements and how things need to be changed.

“It’s a pretty big topic to cover,” Bauer said. “We’re going to discuss it at our PR meetings.”

During open forum, Sen. Alex Knee asked Knight to clarify what students should do when having issues with professors.

“The first thing you should do is talk to your professor and try to hammer out the problems,” Knight said. “Then go to the department chair, then go to the dean, and then go to the provost, then you go to me, and I’ll yell at somebody if the problems still aren’t solved.” 

Knight also said that any students had the option to email [email protected] to help settle any concerns.

“If any students are having problems and are worried about retribution from a professor, I recommend talking to the provost office,” Knight said.

The GSB Senate approved all three bills that went through the Senate Wednesday night.

“Funding SCUM” allocated $200 from the Events account to the Society of Chemistry Undergraduate Majors (SCUM). 

The money will be used to fund the materials needed to showcase chemistry experiments on campus during the weekend of Veishea. The $200 will cover roughly two-thirds of the cost of their show.   

It passed on a vote of 29-0-0.

“A KURE For Boredom” gave approximately $3,300 from the Capital Projects Account to KURE 88.5, Ames Alternative Radio.

The money will be used to fund an equipment upgrade required by the FCC for the station to continue broadcasting.

The FCC Emergency Alert System required an upgrade, and the new equipment should last “nearly half a century,” a member of KURE said. 

This passed on a 29-0-0 vote.

“Swim, Cycle and Run Down to Tempe, AZ” gave roughly $1,800 from the Senate Discretionary Account to the ISU Triathlon Club.

The club qualified to go to the April 12-13 USAT Collegiate Nationals in Tempe, Ariz. This is the club’s most valuable competition according to the club’s vice president. The club did not have adequate funds for the trip this year because of an increase in membership from past years.

This was approved on a vote of 28-0-1.

All of the bills were discussed in the senate for five minutes or less. In the past, bills can take hours to discuss. 

“Everything was according to our rules,” said Sen. Scott Connell. “These are all things that we generally fund. 

Last week Sen. Gabby Williams asked the senate to review any legislature they write for errors.

She explained if bills were free of errors, like trying to fund things that go against GSB by-laws, before the weekly senate meetings, it would save a lot of time.

The ISU Women’s Rugby Club was the GSB’s “Group of the Week” and spoke at the beginning of the meeting.

Along with providing information about the club, they also demonstrated a scrum with 16 GSB senators.

The GSB Finance Committee is continuing to hold its Regular Allocation hearings. At these hearings, various student organizations explain their budgets and request GSB funding.