Cyclone Spotlight: Lauren Morgan

Lauren Morgan, sophomore in Child, Adult & Family Services poses for Dub H in Pioneer Room on Feb. 26th.

Carly Van Zomeren

Lauren Morgan, sophomore in child, adult and family services, is involved in two dance clubs on campus, Dub H and the Timberwolves group.

Q: When did you start dancing? And did you take lessons?

A: I was never that kid at age six that was taken to dance lessons or grew up in a dance talented family. When I went to a middle school dance, I was dancing and I realized just how fun it was and that I was actually good at it! After that I just used YouTube a lot. I really liked watching YouTube videos, that was when it was just starting to get popular and big so there were a few demonstration videos I watched and music videos to just teach myself.

Q: What is your favorite style of dance?

A: It sounds really specific but it is a really different style compared to the rest, if you think about it. My favorite dance genre would have to be lyrical hip hop. Hip hop is about dancing to the beat, but lyrical is all about movement and expression with the words.

Q: Are you involved with any dance clubs on campus?

A: Yes! I am involved with the DubH hip hop club and Timberwolves. Timberwolves is a part of DubH, but a smaller group of people who have a little more experience and get do something a little more challenging, we perform for the Minnesota Timberwolves game halftime during the spring semester.

Q: Has being involved of these dance clubs affected your college experience?

A: I have made a lot of friends since joining DubH, and I don’t think I would have made as many friends if I wouldn’t have. We are like a family and they just take you in and it feels like compared to other groups I’ve seen DubH has been more welcoming than any other.

Q: Do you feel your future includes dancing after college?

A: This summer I went to L.A.  for three months with my friend and trained with professional choreographers and made a lot of connections. I want to travel and teach dance after college. I want my art to be shown in the world, and if I do go to L.A. and want to dance, I have two agencies pursuing me right now. I really need to finish the degree I am in right now, just in case I need a back up plan. I thought about majoring in dance, but that involves a lot more ballet than I would want to take.

Q: What has been your favorite dance memory?

A: Going out to L.A. and meeting the people I met was amazing. I think to surround yourself with people that think the way you do and support and encourage you makes a difference. We all should try to better ourselves, and watching you and watching people grow with you, you just become closer friends. The people I met out there really were encouraging and believed in me, I really liked that.