Cyclone sprinters shine during Big 12 Championships

Iowa State’s Ian Warner receives a second-place medal during the Big 12 Championships on Sunday, Feb. 24, at Lied Recreation Center.

Ryan Berg

The ISU men’s sprinters recorded a handful of personal records during the Big 12 Championships in Ames this weekend.

Sophomore Nick Efkamp took first in the 400-meter dash with a personal best of 46.25 and also finished fifth in the 200-meter dash.

“I’m pretty happy with improving my personal record,” Efkamp said. “Doing everything right in practice is where confidence for me personally comes from and it translates to the meets.”

Efkamp’s results added up to 14 points for the Cyclones, and he was the team’s leading scorer in the meet.

Junior Ryan Sander placed third in the 60-meter hurdles with a personal best of 7.83.

“I felt really good going into the race and knew I had a good chance getting top three,” Sander said. “I improved my personal record by such a large margin. I feel 10 times better after that result and am super excited for the rest of the season.”

In the race right after Sander’s, senior Ian Warner placed second in the 60-meter dash with a personal best of 6.68.

“I couldn’t ask for more and the sprinters have done such a great job. Everything went right for the sprinters and they were all impressive,” said sprinting coach Nate Wiens. “That’s what you want to see as a coach. Going into outdoors, this is the exact kind of meet that you want and finish the indoor on a high note.”

Freshman Alec Baldwin placed sixth in the 800-meter dash with a time of 1:54.00 and sophomore Edward Kemboi placed eighth with a time of 1:55.43.

Kemboi previously ran a 1:47.43 during the Bill Bergan Invitational this season.

On the field side of the Big 12 Championships, senior Zach Richards placed fourth in the weight throw while sophomore Henry Kelley placed seventh.

Freshman Jan Jeuschede placed fourth in the shot put with a personal best throw of 59-04.00 feet.

Senior Ethan Wilkins finished fourth, and freshman Taylor Sanderson finished sixth in the heptathlon.

In the final event of the Big 12 Championships, the 4×400-meter relay team ran by four underclassmen placed eighth. The relay team consisted of freshmen Jacob Hoogensen, Jacob Aune and Ivan Tamba and sophomore Brandon Barnes.

The Cyclones finished eighth as a team with a score of 61 points.