Hit and run on Welch Avenue being investigated by Ames Police

Photo: Megan Wolff/Iowa State Daily

A man was hit by a truck on Friday, Jan. 18, 2013 on Welch Avenue, near Copyworks.

Daily Staff

UPDATE 3:30 p.m., Jan. 21: Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines confirmed that Shawn Molitor is now in critical, but stable condition.

UPDATE 2:39 p.m.:  Shawn Molitor, victim of the hit and run, was an enrolled student for the fall 2012 semester, but is not enrolled as a student for the 2013 spring semester, according to the Office of the Registrar.

Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines confirmed that Molitor is in critical condition.

UPDATE 2:07 p.m.: According to a City of Ames news release, the victim has been identified as 22-year-old Shawn Molitor of Ames. He is currently being treated for injuries sustained at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines.

The Ames Police department is investigating a hit and run accident that occurred on the 100 block of Welch Avenue at 1:51 a.m. Friday, Jan. 18, 2013, according to a news release issued by the Ames Police Friday morning. 

The release said an Ames Police officer witnessed a black Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck hit a male pedestrian and then continue driving southbound on Welch Avenue. 

Cmdr. Geoff Huff, of the Ames Police department, said in a telephone interview Friday morning that he did not know how fast the vehicle was going when it struck the pedestrian.

“We did call in our technical investigators for accident investigation, so they’re going to look into that portion of it,” Huff said. 

ISU Police officers stopped a vehicle matching the description of the vehicle involved in the accident, with “damage consistent with the hit and run,” on the 200 block of Gray Avenue, the release said. The release identified the driver as Jimmy Tyler Hatley, 24, of Kansas City, Mo., as the driver. 

According to the release, Hatley was charged with: serious injury by a vehicle, leaving the scene of a serious injury accident, operating while intoxicated and reckless driving. 

The pedestrian was initially taken to Mary Greeley Medical Center after the accident, but he was later taken to Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines with serious injuries, the release said. 

The news release said the condition of the pedestrian is not known at this time and his identity will be released “pending notification of family.” Huff said he did not know when the man’s condition will be released. 

“That’s always hard because they don’t call us and update us with the condition,” Huff said. “Sometimes, through the course of the investigation, we do follow-ups and we learn of the person’s condition.”

The police urge people who have information regarding the accident to contact the Ames Police Department at 239-5317 or 239-5133 or the anonymous tip line at 239-5533. People can also contact the Story County Crime Stoppers by calling 515-382-7577, going online to storycountycs.com or texting “STORYCOUNTY” to 274637 (CRIMES). 

“Obviously if he’s available to question at some point, we would like to talk to the pedestrian and find out what they know, but right now that’s not possible,” Huff said. 

Check back with the Daily as this story develops.