Cyclones compete close at times in lopsided loss

Matt Gibson grapples with Iowa’s Bobby Telford during the heavyweight match of Iowa State’s 32-3 loss to Iowa on Saturday, Dec. 1, at Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

Dan Cole

IOWA CITY, Iowa — The outcome of Saturday night’s Cy-Hawk wrestling matchup was accurately predicted by most.

The No. 4 Hawkeyes (6-0) lived up to the hype as they defeated the Cyclones (0-2) by a final score of 32-3.

“We just want [Cyclone fans] to realize that it’s a season, it’s a long season,” said ISU coach Kevin Jackson. “We’re two matches in and we’re 0-2, so obviously we’re not feeling good about it. But we wrestle again in a couple weeks and we’ll keep pushing forward.”

Cyclone wrestlers declined comment after the meet.

While the scoreboard indicates a one-sided meet, a number of ISU wrestlers challenged their opponents to the final seconds of their matches but failed to score the crucial points that would have kept the team in the meet.

Jackson cited several individuals that gave themselves a chance to win.

“I think I got some guys that, I can live with their performance tonight,” Jackson said. “I got some guys that, there’s going to be some hurt feelings here in a few minutes. But it is what it is, we just have to continue to grind and get better.”

Redshirt senior Matt Gibson (heavyweight) held the lead for the majority of his match, but ended up losing 3-2 to Bobby Telford, who secured a reversal late in the final period to secure the victory. Telford is ranked No. 5 at 285 pounds by Intermat.

At 141 pounds, redshirt sophomore Luke Goettl also competed closely with No. 13 Mark Ballweg for the entirety of his match. Ultimately, Goettl lacked the necessary offensive effort, falling in a 4-1 contest to Ballweg.

Redshirt sophomore Michael Moreno (165 pounds) took his match with Iowa sophomore Nick Moore down to the final seconds but failed to score before time expired and lost by a 3-2 decision.

Continuing to build on his successful return from a shoulder injury, redshirt sophomore Kyven Gadson defeated Iowa freshman Nathan Burak by a 5-4 decision at 197 pounds.

“I think [Gadson] is pretty stingy, and you’ve got to work hard when a guy’s stingy,” said Iowa coach Tom Brands. “I feel like we left points off the board in individual matches; consequently, we left points off the board [as a team].

Gadson was the lone Cyclone to win his match on Saturday night, despite a few other close results against the loaded Hawkeyes.