Passion Pit plans performance at Hilton Coliseum

Passion Pit will play Hilton Coliseum on Feb. 28, 2013. Tickets go on sale Dec. 1 and cost $32 for floor seating and $25 for stadium seating for students.

Cole Komma

Within a couple hours of announcement, students and residents already have confirmed their attendance to the Facebook event “Passion Pit @ Hilton Coliseum at Iowa State University — Ames, IA.”

Passion Pit, with guest Matt and Kim, will play Hilton Coliseum on Feb. 28. Tickets go on sale Dec. 1, with $32 for the floor and $25 for stadium seating for students. Presale tickets for members of the Passion Pit fan club go on sale Wednesday and Thursday of this week.

“I inquired about [Passion Pit] for Veishea, and the agent said it was going to be a fly-in date,” said George Micalone, director of student activities and assistant director of the Memorial Union. “They were doing a tour in the spring and the dates that they wanted were home basketball games. So then they asked ‘what about the 28th?’ … [And] it worked out.”

Passion Pit is an alternative band out of Massachusetts and its newest album, “Gossamer,” — released earlier this year — received an 8.4 out of 10 by the website Pitchfork and has been featured as “Best New Music” on its site.

“’Gossamer’ is an overwhelming album about being overwhelmed, a bold and ultimately stunning torrent of maximalist musical ideas, repressed anger, and unchecked anxiety,” wrote Ian Cohen, staff writer for Pitchfork.

After the success of last year’s Lupe Fiasco concert at Hilton Coliseum and more recently that of Brantley Gilbert, the Student Union Board continues to strive to improve from both events.

“We had a few hiccups [with Lupe Fiasco] but we worked through those in the second round [Brantley Gilbert]” Micalone said. “Five years ago, Hilton left SMG [a worldwide event and venue managing firm] which manages Stephen’s, Fisher and Scheman. … With that came the [loss of] the support of SMG’s dollars to promote shows in that space. They went on the model of ‘rental facility only.’”

Micalone also assured that booking this concert around basketball games is not a fault of Hilton.

“It had nothing to do with Hilton’s management style,” he said. “I would have pushed for this type of program, regardless of who was managing Hilton.”

The Student Union Board and Micalone are looking forward to this event next semester and urges students to buy tickets.

“They’re looking to sell out” Micalone said. “I saw them at Lollapalooza, and there were 50,000 to 60,000 people around the stage.”