Election Day finally arrives

Katelynn Mccollough

After all of the phone calls, the campaign stops, the commercials and the yard signs, Nov. 6 is here at last.

Election Day.

“This is a presidential election, and we have a much greater turnout than we have at any other election,” said Lucy Martin, auditor for Story County.

Martin said students should expect longer lines on election night, not only because the ballot is “lengthy” but also because of the possible number of new voters needing to register.

All polling locations will open at 7 a.m. Tuesday and close at 9 p.m.

“Getting out to vote is really the most important part,” said Kyle Etzel, president of the College Republicans and junior in pre-business.

In Iowa, voters may register to vote on the day of the election. They will need to bring a valid ID that is not expired and proof of residency.

Anyone who has voted in a previous election but has since moved will only need to bring a valid form of identification.

“Registered voters who have not moved do not need to bring anything but themselves to the polls, “ Martin said. “However, it’s always a good idea to have an ID.”

Martin stated that voter turnout for Story County is about 65 percent, but that turnout in “student-heavy” precincts is usually lower.

“We’re hoping to see a pretty enthusiastic turnout from those who haven’t voted yet,” said Abhishek Vemuri, president of the College Democrats and senior in elevtrical engineering.

Both Etzel and Vemuri were excited about the enthusiasm they’ve seen from students so far.

Martin explained that 32.4 percent of the county has already voted via absentee ballots.

“We’re hoping that students appreciate how important voting is,” Vemuri said. “Their vote matters.”

Voters can not simply vote at any location, but must go to the correct precinct based off of where they live in Story County, which they can find using the Story County polling place finder.

“[The polling place finder is] set to work so that if students enter ‘Helser Hall’ or ‘Delta Delta Delta’ or ‘University Village,’ it will find their precinct,” Martin said. “Street addresses also work.”

The College Democrats will host an election results party at the Maintenance Shop beginning at 10 p.m. with free food. Alcoholic beverages will be available to anyone of age.

The College Republicans will be also hosting an election results party beginning at 7 p.m. in room 5 of  Physics Hall.

Etzel and Vemuri are hoping they will know the results of the election sometime early Wednesday morning.

“I’m hoping we know,” Etzel said “I’m not expecting to sleep till we know.”

Vemuri said that though all of the volunteers for this election have been enthusiastic and great, they are all “ready for it to be done, for sure.”

Students who would like to keep up to date on election results can check the Daily’s website or the Iowa Secretary of State’s website at electionresults.sos.iowa.gov/.

If a voter encounters a problem while voting on Election Day, he or she may call the Story County Auditor’s office at 515-382-7210 or the Iowa Secretary of State at 888-SOS-VOTE.