Three wrestlers earn titles at Cyclone Open

Photo: Blake Lanser/Iowa State Daily

ISU Cyclone wrestlers particpated in the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open on Saturday, Nov. 10, at Hilton Coliseum.

Dan Cole

The ISU wrestling team hosted the annual Harold Nichols Cyclone Open on Saturday, Nov. 11, at Hilton Coliseum. The tournament was the Cyclones’ first official competition of the season.

Five Cyclones made it into the finals. At 133, true freshman John Meeks (unattached) fell to No. 4 Joe Colon of Northern Iowa by a 5-4 decision. Redshirt sophomore Mike Moreno took home the 165-pound title with a 12-6 victory against Dallas Houchins of Grand View. Tanner Weatherman and Mikey England met in the 174 finals, with England earning the 3-2 win. In the 197-pound finals, redshirt junior Cole Shafer earned a 9-3 victory against Paul Rands.

A number of Cyclones looked as though they were going to roll through their brackets but failed to complete the day as they fell in the later rounds.

ISU redshirt sophomore Ryak Finch took third place at 125 with a technical fall victory against Connor Bolling of Nebraska-Kearne.

ISU freshman Lelund Weatherspoon (unattached) pinned Travis Leiskau of Nebraska-Kearney to win third place at 165.

ISU redshirt senior Matt Gibson earned the third place title at heavyweight by pinning Chris Lopez of Illinois.

Check back to iowastatedaily.net for more coverage of ISU wrestling.