Tie-Dye 4 Hope event raises Hope 4 Africa on Central Campus

Myra Krieger-Coen

When he founded Hope 4 Africa at Iowa State, Moses Bomett, senior in economics, was prepared to make an impact. The volunteer organization began with a small group of students and a vision to improve education in Kenya.

Only three years later, the group hovers at about 100 members and is responsible for raising over $15,000 through fundraising.

One of these events, Tie-Dye 4 Hope, will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. this Wednesday on Central Campus.

“It’s one of our most popular fundraisers we have put on the past two years,” said Casie Tindell, sophomore in pre-business and executive member of Hope 4 Africa.

The event raises money through shirt sales. For a $10 donation, participants will receive a shirt and Hope 4 Africa button, with all profits going to support programs at Ogilgei and Kirobon Primary Schools and Boror High School in Kenya, said Samantha Riess, senior in biological systems engineering Hope 4 Africa president.

In addition to fundraising, the organization raises awareness through their annual Hunger Out 4 Hope event, asking students to refuse food for 12 hours so that they can experience what some African families must go through on a daily basis.

The support the organization has provided has not gone unnoticed — by those helped and helping alike. For the past two summers, members of ISU Hope 4 Africa have traveled to Kenya and witnessed firsthand the impact the organization has made on the schools.

More information for ISU Hope 4 Africa can be found on the Student Organization website.