Words from the masses: Democrats, Republicans sound off

David Bartholomew

The Early Birds: Briana McNeal and Adriana Slaughter

The rough pavement and infamous Tuesday morning sleep-in did not stop McNeal, senior in global resource systems, and Slaughter, senior in child, adult and family services, from beating every other student to the front of the line at the entrance of Central Campus to see President Barack Obama speak. Armed with a blanket, drinks and some snacks, McNeal and Slaughter sat proudly at the front of the line while later arrivals jealously walked passed them to the end of the line.

“We got here at 5 a.m. because we thought there was going to be a long line and we were surprised we got here first,” McNeal said. “We have some provisions to last us until they let us in.”

Both McNeal and Slaughter are strong Obama supporters and were quite excited to be first in line to see the president, for whom they both plan to vote come November. Like most students, they were hoping the president would address issues that were important to them.

“His views on higher education are very important to me,” Slaughter said. “This is both our first time voting and we’re both voting for Obama.”

A Family Event: The Showe Family

Near the front of the line Tuesday morning sat the Showe family of Chicago. Carolyn and Terry Showe were visiting their daughter, Anna, who attends Iowa State. Amidst their enthusiasm for Obama, they admitted that his appearance at Iowa State was simply a fortunate coincidence that they were there at the same time.

“We came to see our daughter, and it just happened that Obama was going to be here,” Carolyn said.

In terms of policy, Terry was hoping Obama would speak about progressive issues.

“We are hoping he talks about the economy, farming, and next generation energy policy, like wind energy,” Terry said. “He’s progressive, and I like his views on moving the country forward.”

Like her parents, Anna showed similar enthusiasm about what President Obama stood for and voting in her first election.

“I really like what he stands for,” Anna said. “I wasn’t old enough to vote in the last election, but I will be voting for Obama in Iowa this November.”

The Happy Traveler: Maher Agha

Originally from Lebanon, currently living in Puerto Rico, and visiting his son at Iowa State, Agha was an early arrival to the Obama event and was more than happy that he was.

“I wanted to come see the president of the United States,” Agha said. “I think he has been working hard to put the country on track. … I respect him as a person, a father, and a president, and I believe he is doing everything he can to get us going again.”

A world traveler, Agha has been everywhere from Lebanon to Australia to the Caribbean and, in his opinion, there is no place better than the United States, thanks to people like President Obama.

“God bless the president and God bless the USA,” Agha said. “I have gone all over the world and there is no place like America.”

Union Tough: Roxy West

Sporting her green “AFSCME” (American Federation of State, County and Municipal Emplyees) shirt, Roxy West of Marshalltown was proud as both president of her AFSCME Local 2984 union and a Democrat to come out to support President Obama. Along with her friend Kathy Johnson, West was enthusiastic about Obama’s support for both unions and working class families.

“I want Obama to continue to be the president and show him support from the working class,” West said. “He’s been very supportive of unions.”

West did not have the same affinity for Mitt Romney.

“I don’t think Romney has any care for the working class or unions,” West said.

What is more, West and Johnson both seemed optimistic about the strong student support for Obama and the fact that it will help swing Iowa into Obama’s favor.

“We are very encouraged by the student turnout; it’s very inspiring,” West said. “I am confident Iowa will go to Obama.”

The Fiery Conservative: Jeremy Freeman

Standing with the large pro-Romney crowd that assembled outside the library early Tuesday morning, Freeman, a student at DMACC, took the time to express his anger and frustration over President Obama. He said his anger stemmed from the idea that President Obama has not done enough to help the economy and instead focused on other issues during his first term as president.

“We have a president who, instead of taking care of jobs when he became president, he focused on health care and bailing out the auto industry and Wall Street with Main Street money,” Freeman said.

Freeman also expressed confidence in both Romney’s ability to do the job as president as well as win the election, despite issues over his tax returns which he contends are no different than Obama refusing to release his college transcripts.

“Romney has experience leading large operations,” Freeman said. “Whether you like corporate America or not, he knows how to run it. Obama has never run a business or anything.”