Jantz named starting quarterback for opener

Photo: Jordan Maurice/Iowa State Daily

Steele Jantz took over duties at quarterback after a slow offensive start. Jantz threw for 197 yards in the Cyclones’ 27-13 loss to Rutgers in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium on Friday, Dec. 30.

Daily Staff

Steele Jantz has been named the starting quarterback for Iowa State on Tuesday morning, per a news release.

Jantz was given the starting nod after an offseason of competition with redshirt sophomore Jared Barnett and redshirt freshman Sam Richardson. Last season, Jantz beat out Barnett and quarterback-turned-wide receiver Jerome Tiller for the job.

Addressing the media on Tuesday hours after the announcement, ISU coach Paul Rhoads said Jantz emulated the three qualities he was looking for in a starting quarterback — decision-making, productivity and throwing accuracy.

“They’re smarter — all three guys, as they’re a year older they should be,” Rhoads said. “Overall, Steele just emerged in all those areas as being the top guy at this point.”

Rhoads said the fact that Jantz is a senior did not play a factor in selecting him ahead of Barnett (redshirt sophomore) and Richardson (redshirt freshman).

“It doesn’t really factor into it at any position,” Rhoads said. “You’ve got to put your best people on the field that give you the best opportunity to win and whether that’s tight end, defensive tackle or quarterback, the year in school has very little factor.”

Be sure to check out Wednesday’s print edition of the Iowa State Daily for more coverage on the quarterback decision as well as Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby’s visit to Ames.