Animals, owners scamper through race to raise proceeds for vet group

Erin Toohey

The Student Chapter of American Veterinary Medical Association hosted its 29th annual SCAVMA Scamper on Saturday at the College of Veterinary Medicine.

The SCAVMA Scamper is a 5k and 10k run/walk held every year to promote a healthy lifestyle for both animals and humans.

“The mission for this event is to incorporate the OneHealth mission in a healthy environment for both people and their pets,” said Joshua Ydstie, second-year veterinary student and chairman of the SCAVMA Scamper committee.

The OneHealth mission ties together human and animal medicine, which has recently focused on obesity awareness and prevention in owners and their pets.

“Animals need exercise just as much as people do,” Ydstie said.

The Scamper also is a fundraiser for SCAVMA, a nonprofit veterinary student organization.

“Part of our proceeds go toward SCAVMA events. Some of these are funding students to go to the national American Veterinary Medical Association symposium and having speakers come every semester,” Ydstie said.

Proceeds from SCAVMA fundraisers also go toward improving the veterinary school.

It’s also good publicity for the organization, Ydstie said.

“It’s good to get our organization recognized by the public and let them know that yeah, we’re vet students now, but in a few years, we’ll be their vets,” Ydstie said.

The runners either registered online beforehand or in the Fish Tank Lobby at the College of Veterinary Medicine the day of the race.

Ydstie said that this year, their registration numbers for runners improved by about 100 people, and their animal numbers improved by 20 to 30 more dogs.

The runners and owners with pets lined up on Christensen Drive in front of the school and awaited the 9 a.m. start time.

“My fiance’s a student in the vet school, so we’re running to come out and support the school,” said Amanda Riddle, who ran with her fiance and their dog, Lucy.

Even though the sky was cloudy, the weather didn’t dampen the moods of the runners and especially not the moods of the dogs.

It didn’t affect the mood of the volunteers either, who were all energetic about the event.

Ydstie said he would call this year’s SCAVMA Scamper a success.

“It was crazy, but a lot of fun,” he said. “I really enjoy running and the race atmosphere, and it was great being able to put this all together.”