City Council impacts student lives

Jake Webster

Ames City Council’s fourth ward, which covers the Iowa State campus and Campustown, will have an election Nov. 5.

City Council makes decisions that can impact students, including where they can rent housing. Rachel Junck, an Iowa State student, and Joe Van Erdewyk, a recent  Iowa State graduate, are seeking election to the fourth ward seat.

There are four council members elected from wards of the city and two at-large members elected by everyone in the city. An Iowa State student is appointed by Student Government to serve as an ex-officio member of City Council and raise student issues before the council, though they have no vote.

The current ex-officio member, Devyn Leeson, said students should pay attention to City Council because there are issues decided “all the time” at the local level that impact students more than at the state and federal level, such as housing.

“Local government is the most impactful part of government for many people, and it gets the least amount of attention,” Leeson said.

Under a since-repealed ordinance known as a rental cap, the council had limited the ability of properties in certain neighborhoods near Iowa State to be rented. Supporters of the rental cap had argued it would make the area more desirable for families to live in, with the consequence of making affordable housing more difficult for students to acquire.

Under the Iowa Constitution, counties and municipalities are granted home rule.

Local governments can create municipal codes and regulations beyond what the state code is, unless the state government makes pre-emption laws overturning the local governments. An example of such a pre-emption occurred when the state government overturned minimum wages in three Iowa counties that were higher than the state and federal minimum of $7.25 an hour.

The city’s vision statement says it is “committed to fostering creativity and innovation at the forefront of the world’s important issues that the Midwest is uniquely positioned to address,” such as agriculture, sustainability and development, among others.

City Council has a Comprehensive Plan to ensure the city’s stable development through 2040. The public is able to give input to council on issues affecting them via email or by attending City Council meetings and speaking before the council.