The building blocks of business: Legos inspire student’s ventures

Tiffany Westrom

Hundreds of engineering students file into Mechanical Engineering 160 to learn how to solve mechanical engineering problems with computer applications. One of those students walked out with the knowledge he needed to put an idea to work.

Shaun Vanweelden, sophomore in computer engineering, used what he learned about a programming environment called MATLAB to develop the software for his a new business venture.

“I created an online application where users can upload an image from their computer and turn it into a Lego mosaic and print off the instructions that they need to build it,” Vanweelden said. “Then I sell them the pieces that they will need to make their mosaic.”

While Legos probably are not the first business venture idea for most, Vanweelden has been preparing for his new enterprise since he was a kid. As a child, he constructed towers and landscapes like millions of other kids, but that was far from the end for the Lego enthusiast.

“I used to play with them as a little kid,” Vanweelden said, “and I just never stopped.”

He continued to build structures and mosaics throughout middle school and in eighth grade he participated in First Lego League, which was what sparked his interest in engineering. Five years later, he is an engineering student and member of the planning team for Lego League and has previously helped mentor a team of 10 students from Pella alongside engineers from Pella Corporation.

Vanweelden, whose dream job is to work for Lego, won the Iowa State Entrepreneurship and Innovation Learning Community’s first Innovation Pitch Competition last month for his Lego mosaic software plan. He and other participants were given 90 seconds to give their business proposal in front of a group of three judges and their peers.

Vanweelden’s pitch received a prize of $300 from the Renewable Energy Group of Ames, who sponsored the event. Vanweelden also was voted the Audience Choice and received a $50 ISU Book Store gift card.

“Shaun won a top prize because he was clear about the idea,” said Judi Eyles, the associate director of the Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship. “He demonstrated some progress with his concept, he gave confident and complete answers to the judges’ questions, and he delivered concisely within the 90 seconds.”

This Lego mosaic online application is Vanweelden’s third business venture and will be available online next summer. Creatively Cute is Vanweelden’s jewelry line that features earrings, bracelets and necklaces that are made with Legos, but he focuses most of his time on the sale of Lego pieces on the Internet.

Vanweelden has also sold more than $25,000 worth of Lego pieces by working with the Lego stores in the Chicago area to buy and sell bricks of Legos to customers all over the United States.

“I’ve always just been very independent in how I make money and I like that I can have flexible hours and make the decisions,” Vanweelden said.  “But the opportunities that I have in college make me want to change my mind about future jobs just about every month.”

His Lego creations include a mosaic of President Barack Obama, an ISU logo and a Lego logo.