Letter to the editor: Bad behavior among student-athletes not tolerated

Darrin Cline’s opinion piece on student-athletes got some things right, but as a mother of a student-athlete and an Iowa State alum; I have to say he got most of it wrong. He is correct in that student-athletes and professional athletes should be held to a higher standard for their behavior outside of the arenas in which they compete. They are indeed heroes and local celebrities, and with that comes an extra measure of responsibility. If they aren’t cutting it morally and ethically, they have no place representing our universities or serving as role models for our kids. Fortunately, most coaches agree and bad behavior is not tolerated. Athletes that believe the rules do not apply to them are promptly asked to leave. The fact is, most student-athletes are taking care of business and doing it right (sweat pants and all) or they wouldn’t be here.

Cline points out that the athletes of yesteryear were men and women we could admire, but while he is waxing nostalgic about the great sports heroes of the 1990s, let’s not forget that the 1990s also produced Mark McGwire (steroids), Michael Irvin (drug charges) and Tiger Woods (philanderer), to name a few. Living life the way it is supposed to be lived, huh Darrin? What was true in the 1990s is true today: There will always be a few scalawags that spoil it for the whole group. However, we mustn’t lose sight of the rest of the group, the majority, who are all working hard to be honorable.

There are three things that will make a person successful in life: hard work, dedication and making the most of your talents. Cline failed to acknowledge that the “perks” the student-athletes receive (like ISU gear) were earned through those three things — it’s called a scholarship. I hear you can get one for academics too. In fact Mr. Cline, it is possible to get your ISU gear, your tuition and your books paid for all at once; you just have to earn it, and earn it they do. They earn it every day by balancing school, two-a-day practices, work, volunteering in the community and brutal travel schedules to provide us with entertainment and the University with revenue.