Varieties entertains its own greek history

Trevor Werner

Sweepstakes for Greek Varieties will take place on Friday from 6 to 9 p.m. with follow up performances on Saturday beginning at 8 p.m.

The competition of skits will take place in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

“Varieties is basically a musical, but the script and words must be original,” said David Moore, freshman in supply chain management who is a greek member that participates in Varieties. “Anyone, greek or non-greek, can participate and it is a great way to express your musical talent in a fun and creative way.”

Varieties has had a place on the Iowa State campus for over 80 years.

According to the Iowa State historical records, Varieties traces back to the Depression era, where students had very little entertainment.

In 1931, the Mortar Board, which still exists today as a national honor society, created Varieties.

It originally consisted of an hour and a half show, which would perform every Friday during the 10-week winter quarter, given free of charge to all students.

In 1947 the Student Union Board took over sponsorship. Shortly after gaining control they completely changed the process to a five week ordeal, with four skits performing each week, as well as making it a judged competition.

By 1951 the overall winner concept was removed completely, and instead five chosen skits performed during Veishea.

Seven years later, it was removed from Veishea entirely and the winners received a traveling “Sweepstakes Trophy.”

Then in 1960, the final night of the competition was changed and named Sweepstakes. On this night, the best skits performed directly for the winner’s trophy.

Today, each skit is performed by a pairing of Greek houses.

These are determined in October with serenades where sororities create an original song and attempt to “woo” potential fraternities into choosing them. In late November first cuts take place after the pairings and vignettes have all been established.

In February, following multiple dress rehearsals are second cuts.

This is the first chance each pairing, as well as the individual vignettes, has to perform in front of the public as well as a panel of judges.

“I love Varieties,” said Brice Ballentine, sophomore in communications. “I think its great to go out there and sing and dance, it is also nice to see how creative people are. … When I found out we made it past second cuts and were going on to finals, I was ecstatic. It’s the greatest feeling in the world when all of your hard work pays off.”

This years Sweepstake Varieties performances will include: “Tweet: The Musical,” “Caught in a Pickle” and “A Picture’s Worth 1,000 Words” for the pairings. “Strummin’ and Drummin’,” “All in Moderation” and “Tom and Tom” will perform for the vignettes.