Editorial: Vending machines may offer vital venues for Plan B

In a small town in Pennsylvania, Shippensburg University is gaining media attention over a somewhat controversial service offered by their health center. Roughly two years ago, a vending machine was installed in the student health center that contained a variety of useful things for students, including condoms and the Plan B emergency contraceptive pill.

The placement of Plan B in an easily accessible vending machine came at the response of the students at the school, numbering around 8,300. The idea stemmed from a survey on the health services available, and an overwhelming 85 percent of respondents supported making Plan B obtainable in this manner.

Though the vending machine has been in place for a while, it is just recently gaining attention as Americans continue to have discussions about women’s health and contraceptive services. The only foreseeable legal problem is access by underage women. Federal law allows those older than 17 to simply purchase Plan B, while those younger need a prescription. In this case, however, that is not an issue. The machine is located in an area of the health center only available to faculty and students.

Having over-the-counter medications in vending machines is nothing new. Hotels frequently have machines where visitors can purchase Tylenol, aspirin or other non-prescription drugs. Even our convenience stores on campus have these sorts of medications available to students, as well as free condoms available at hall desks and around campus. Any controversy surrounding the same availability of a non-prescription medication like Plan B has little basis.

While the legality of the vending machine is not a problem, there are other concerns that should be addressed if a morning-after pill is dispensed without a pharmacist. It’s unclear if any medical staff subsequently discuss any medical risks or side effects that could occur after using Plan B, but it is certainly an important consideration.

Additionally, some worry that the rather impersonal approach to the contraceptive measure would result in a deterrent for women who had been sexually assaulted or raped to seek further action. These women may require other medical attention or counseling services that they fail to seek because they received assistance from a vending machine rather than a trained professional.

While the idea of dispensing the morning-after pill in a way that is easily accessible and private for students that require it is laudable, the health center should be taking steps to ensure that students are still aware of any pertinent medical information, as well as making sure students that may be seeking Plan B as a result of assault are given the proper care and resources they need.