ISU turnovers critical in road loss

Caitlyn Diimig

The Lowdown:

Iowa State came away with a 71-63 loss against Oklahoma State on Saturday in Stillwater, Okla.

The two teams are now 1-1 against each other this season. Iowa State had previously beat Oklahoma State 73-52 on Feb. 1 in Ames. 

Iowa State left the half leading 40-36 and with 100 percent free-throw shooting.

Turning point:

Turnovers led to Iowa State’s loss in Cowgirl territory. The Cyclones (17-10, 8-8 Big 12) lost possession of the ball 17 times and the Cowgirls managed a matching 17 points off those turnovers.

Oklahoma State went on a 15-0 run in the second half, putting them up 56-47 with 10 minutes remaining.

A 3-pointer late in the second half by sophomore Kelsey Harris, combined with a layup from senior Lauren Mansfield, helped the Cyclones come within two points of the lead with three minutes remaining in the game.

Shooting from OSU freshman Liz Donohoe and sophomore Tiffany Bias was able to seal the win for the Cowgirls. The pair scored a combined 10 points in the last three minutes of the game.

X Factor:

Liz Donohoe.

The OSU freshman scored 27 points and pulled down 7 rebounds. Donohoe scored well above her average of 10 points per game.

By the numbers: 

11th – Chelsea Poppens’ ranking nationally in rebounds (10.8 a game)

7th – OSU sophomore Tiffany Bias’ ranking nationally in assists (6.7 a game)

100 – Iowa State’s free-throw percentage in the first half (11/11)

17 – number of turnovers by Iowa State

17 – number of points earned by Oklahoma State off ISU turnovers

Up next:

The Cyclones will try to extend their four game-winning streak in Hilton Coliseum when they host Kansas State for senior night on Wednesday at 7 p.m.