Letter to the editor: ‘Just Sayin’ comments not alone; Facebook memes also racially insensitive

Eva Morales

While the recent controversy regarding the Iowa State Daily’s “Just Sayin” column has brought to light a very negative reality that some students on our campus face, I applaud the newspaper for its efforts in attempting to remedy the harm caused.

What is unfortunate, however, is that it took this type of mistake to spark the rippling effect currently sweeping across campus and beyond, extending into our social media lives. A mistake, which I believe, was not malicious or done in bad faith.

Rallies, discussions and meetings are underway to address the issue of race and racism at Iowa State with more momentum and support than ever before. However, the fact remains that “racism” continues to be associated with Iowa State’s name, and it extends beyond what was printed in the Daily.

A Facebook page was recently created titled “Iowa State University Memes.” The page’s description explains, “Memes are taking over the interwebs, so it’s time that Iowa State rises to the occasion and starts making some memes of their own.”

Currently, the page has more than 5,000 likes — that’s more likes than the Daily has.

While the memes are meant to be humorous, and most are, I am tremendously disappointed in the high volume of memes that feature racial slurs — slurs particularly aimed at Asians and Asian-Americans.

While I understand the implications of the First Amendment, this is something that every ISU student, faculty and staff member should be concerned about. The page is identified by Iowa State’s name — what do these hateful, offensive and racially slurred memes say to prospective students and the outside community about our campus and the students who attend it?

This is a call to the students creating these offensive and intolerable memes — stop. Let’s keep Iowa State classy.