Redshirt freshman thrower has strong showing at ISU Open

Freshman Collin Fett throws 17.71 meters in the men’s weight throw in the ISU Open on Friday, Jan. 20, at Lied Recreation Athletic Center. Fett’s efforts earned him second place in the finals of Friday night’s events.

Dylan Montz

While the ISU men’s track and field team had just one champion at the ISU Open, it saw several other strong performances in the first meet of the season.

One of those performances came from redshirt freshman thrower Collin Fett. Fett placed second in the weight throw with a personal best of 58-01 1/4. He finished only behind former Cyclone thrower Josh Koglin.

Fett, a native of Algona, Iowa, said he was pleased with his performance and was not necessarily surprised that his first throw of the competition was his personal best.

“I took it easy on the first one, just trying to get one in and not foul it,” Fett said. “Sometimes when you just take it easy and have good form, it works for you. The first one I had 58 and the second one I had 57, so I was kind of proving to myself that it wasn’t a fluke that I threw it.”

ISU throwers coach Grant Wall said he was happy with Fett’s performance, which places him in the top five in the Big 12 Conference at the moment.

“I thought he could go about 56 or 57 [feet],” Wall said. “The guy is gamer; he is competitive and he works his butt off. It wasn’t a surprise, but this early in the season it was.”

Coach Corey Ihmels said the performance given by Fett on Friday is a good first step in achieving the goals Fett has for himself.

“He was somebody within the event groups that really stood out,” Ihmels said. “You could see what type of competitor he is and that puts him in the thick of things for the Big 12 meet.”

Fett said he has set big goals for himself and will continue to train hard and improve to achieve them.

“From the beginning of the season, I knew that I could put up some big numbers and make some noise this year in the conference,” Fett said. “A top five or four finish at [the Big 12] Conference [meet] would be ideal. I’ve got my sights set on 60 feet.”

The Cyclones will be back in action Thursday through Saturday as they host the Bill Bergan Invitational at Lied Recreation Athletic Center.