Sisters commit to Iowa State softball

Mia Wang/Iowa State Daily

All team members shake hands after the Iowa State vs. Kansas game on May 3. The Cyclones defeated the Jayhawks 3-2.

Sam Stuve

With Iowa State’s top two pitchers from last season, seniors Emma Hylen and Savannah Sanders, no longer being apart of the team due to graduation, the Cyclones needed to add more depth and talent to complement the five pitchers they already have. 

On Wednesday, the Cyclones signed pitcher Ellie Spelhaug, a transfer pitcher who opted to play basketball in her freshman year instead of softball.

Ellie Spelhaug spent her freshman year playing basketball at Bradley University where she played in 26 games and averaged 10 minutes per game.

In high school, Ellie Spelhaug earned First Team All-State honors and earned Quad City Player of the Year in 2018.

Ellie will join her sister Carli Spelhaug on the team as Carli, who is a part of the high school class of 2019, signed with the Cyclones back in Nov. 2018.

As a senior, Ellie Spelhaug had a record of 24-2, an ERA of 0.67 ERA and a batting average of .473 with 14 home runs.

Ellie Spelhaug finished her high school tenure with a record of 92-16. 

At Pleasant Valley High School in Bettendorf, Iowa, Ellie and Carli Spelhaug were a part of team that won back-to-back State Championships in 2017 and 2018.

The Cyclones now have six pitchers on their roster as Ellie Spelhaug now joins freshmen Karlie Charles, Janessa Jasso and sophomores Emille Guerra, Tatum Ksiazek and Shannon Mortimer.