State Gym to open Jan. 9

Photo: Nicole Wiegand/Iowa State Daily

The view from the second story of the Recreation Facilities Expansion and Renovation addition showcases an array of cardio equipment throughout the top floor of State Gym on Tuesday, Nov. 15. The main floor below is dedicated to weight training equipment. Crews worked througout the day Tuesday to assemble the majority of the new facility’s machinery. 

Daily Staff

State Gym will open Jan. 9, said Director of Recreation Services Michael Giles at Wednesday’s Government of the Student Body meeting.

According to an ISU news release, the remodeled State Gym, along with its 94,000-square-foot addition, will open at 6 a.m. Jan. 9.

The news release states that non-student users — e.g. ISU faculty, staff, Alumni Association members, retirees and spouses — will be able to use the facilities free of charge from Jan. 9 to Jan. 22 on a trial basis.

Non-student users must purchase a pass to access ISU recreation facilities beginning Jan. 23.

All users must show a photo ID before entering State Gym, the release said. ISU students, faculty and staff must show their ISU cards. ISU alumni must show their Alumni Association membership card and a photo ID. ISU retirees, if they do not have an ISU card, must show another form of photo identification. Spouses without ISU cards must be accompanied by a eligible student or non-student and have a photo ID.