Semester of theater ends with 10 minute plays

Alex Smith

At Iowa State, there are many opportunities for hands- on experiences, and one option to practice theater is to direct other students.

In Brad Dell’s Theatre 455: Directing I class, he said the students “talk about all of the different skills, techniques and requirements of being a director. And the students direct one another in various class scenes to begin to get hands- on experience.”

Some of the students think the process for the show is an enjoyable one.

“Since none of us had much experience directing, we knew it was a safe environment, which made the process a lot of fun and great learning experience,” said Kathleen Hoil, junior in performing arts.

The performances are also new experiences for some of the students.

“I always thought of myself as an actor,” said Victoria Stafford, senior in performing arts, “but now I see how thrilling and exciting being a director can be.”

“It was very interesting to see what it’s like on the other side of the process,” Hoil added.

Working together with students is not always easy, but Stafford said there are times when “fellow students have moments of brilliance in directing a scene, and it is a very cool thing to be a part of.”

Dell said he hopes his students will get an experience of “fully mounting and producing a play on their own.”

“From casting, through rehearsal, to teching a show, they will get invaluable real-life experiences,” Dell said.

10 Minute Plays

Where: M-shop

When: Dec. 13 and 14 at 7:30 p.m.

Cost: Free