Three Iowa State runners earn Second Team All-American honors

Then freshman Amanda Vestri runs in the second heat go the Women’s 3000 M Final at the Big 12 Track and Field Championship at Lied Rec. Center on Feb. 24, 2018. Vestri finished the NCAA Championships in 14th place which earned her Second Team All-American status.

Jack Shover

Three female Iowa State track athletes captured Second Team All-American status Thursday on the second day of the NCAA Championships with one runner registering a personal best.

The athletes competed in the 800-meter run, the 100-meter hurdles and the 10,000-meter run.

In the 800-meter run, senior Erinn Stenman-Fahey ran a personal best time of 2:05.11 which placed her 16th overall. Nia Akins from Penn finished first and paced all runners with a time of 2:02.88.

Freshman Keira Christie-Galloway finished 16th overall with a time of 13.15 in the 100-meter hurdles which was only behind first place Janeek Brown from Arkansas by .62 seconds.

The last female athlete to compete for the Cyclones was Amanda Vestri in the 10,000-meter run finals. The sophomore finished the best of any Iowa State athlete on Thursday at 14th with a time of 34:02.78 while New Mexico’s Weini Kelati finished first with a time of 33:10.84.

On Friday, two Cyclone male runners will be competing in the final event for their respective races.

At 8:44 p.m., Festus Lagat will be racing in the 800-meter run final and Edwin Kurgat will be competing at 9:25 p.m. in the 5,000-meter run final.

Both runners qualified for their races final on Wednesday as the 4×400-meter hurdle team and hammer thrower Vlad Pavlenko earned Honorable Mention All-American Honors.

Both runners will be able to compete for First Team All-American status which was achieved by Kurgat last year at the NCAA Championships.