MU Post Office receives proposal to close

Jan Pfantz, employee at the Memorial Union post office, helps a student with their mail and packages Wednesday, Oct. 19. The government is currently in the process of closing post offices, and the MU location may be one of them. 

Paige Godden

The Memorial Union post office has received an official proposal to close.

According to the proposal, “The Postal Service is proposing to close the Memorial Union Station, IA and provide delivery and retail services by independent post offices under the administrative responsibility of the Ames Post Office, located two miles away.”

It continues on saying that the office is being studied for a possible closing or consolidation due to several alternative locations that can provide the sale of stamps and mailing of most package items.

The proposal lists advantages that would come from the proposal, including stamps by mail order, customers opting for carrier service will have 24 hour access to their mail and the proposal saves time and energy for customers who drive to the post office to pick up mail.

Some of the disadvantages include the loss of a retail outlet and a manager position, potential of some people having to travel additional distances, and a change in mailing addresses.

According to the proposal, the Postal Service would save $257,079 over the next ten years.

“Taking all available information into consideration, the Postal Service has determined that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and this proposal is warranted,” according to the proposal.

Jared Knight, vice president of the student body, said if the post office closes, it will be disappointing.

“At this point there isn’t much we can do. The postmaster has X dollars they need to cut, and they’ve clearly determined that the convenience for students, faculty and staff is less valuable than the money saved,” Knight said.

Jacob Swanson, an Inter-Residence Hall Association member and a GSB senator, said the post office must not be getting a lot of use.

“As senators, we were asked to fill out a survey about whether or not we believe the MU post office should remain fully open. I have not heard any official results of that, but if the MU post office has received official notice, then it could be shut down,” according to Swanson.

He said he does not know what GSB or IRHA is formally planning on doing about it.

“As a senator, I would support keeping the MU post office open because it allows students, especially residence hall students (my constituents), easy access to send or receive any mail when they might have more difficulty getting to a post office elsewhere in Ames,” according to Swanson.

Another IRHA senator for GSB, Adam Guenther, said he believes GSB will try to address the situation.

“It sounds like the MU and USPO do not want to staff and run it anymore, so I do not know what we can do. I know it was a lot more convenient to buy stamps or ship a package then UPS or FedEx or go downtown for stamps or flat rate boxes,” Guenther said.