ISU presidential candidate Subbaswamy speaks at forum

ISU presidential candidate Kumble Subbaswamy speaks in Morrill Hall during a public forum for the presidential finalist forum on Thursday, Sept. 22. 

Kaleb Warnock

ISU presidential candidate Kumble Subbaswamy was on campus Thursday offering Iowa State the first opportunity to interact with the next potential president. Subbaswamy began his presentation at the open forum by discussing the importance of research and education in the 21st century, particularly with regards to the developing world and globalized economy.

“We must be committed to a meaning of globalization,” he said. “Certainly it needs to be a coherent, organized university-wide effort.”

There were several critical questions regarding how Iowa State was going to keep up with globalization in both the economic and the educational sphere.

His solution is to think innovation. He cited exploiting advantages through innovation, capitol and know-how. This combination still exists in the U.S., and it’s the advantage it retains, especially regarding university investment and innovation.

“We talked about innovation being critically important,” he said. “It implies working outside of the box, and if you work inside the box, you’ll keep getting the same result.”

Part of Subbaswamy’s plan for innovation is to reach out to other universities abroad in order to keep up with globalization.

“The challenge in the ongoing world, when so many universities are trying to make American partners, is trying to make strategic relationships,” he said.

Subbaswamy continued to state that overcoming economic struggles is one of the biggest problems facing education.

“At the same time that demand is growing, the state contribution to education is declining,” Subbaswamy said.

He also stated that the system is overburdened, and therefore hurting investment in state and federal education funding.

Despite the economic struggles, Subbaswamy emphasized the importance of research institutions in the increasingly globalized economy and is impressed by the student-centered research attitude at Iowa State.

He stated that research is important, especially at a land-grant institution like Iowa State because universities remain leaders in research. Although it is expensive and federal funding is declining, research and development and job creation remain important.

He later changed his statement to say that it is not necessarily that university creates jobs, but instead creates the “know-how” and tries to get it out on the market.

“We need incubators through critical land-grant universities for promoting research and intentional effort to bring practical benefits from university research,” Subbaswamy said.

Finally, his strongest point regarding research was the importance of the role of students.

“You should start with the notion that Iowa State is and will remain the most student-centered research university,” he said.