Cyclones upset three seed Texas 2-0 in Big 12 tournament opener

Grant Tetmeyer/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt sophomore Talyn Lewis (left) and sophomore Skyler Ramos (right) talk and stay warm during Iowa State’s at bat in the third inning of Iowa State’s loss to Texas Tech. Iowa State lost to Texas Tech 8-4 on March 31, dropping their record to 18-15 overall and 1-5 in Big 12 play. 

Sam Stuve

In the opening round of the Big 12 tournament in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, five-seed Iowa State upset the three-seed Texas Longhorns — who are also the eight ranked team in the country, by a score 2-0 thanks to a two-run home run by redshirt sophomore Talyn Lewis.

Iowa State is 32-22, and Texas is now 41-14 this season.

The Cyclones earned their win first over Longhorns of the season and their first Big 12 tournament win since 2008.

Senior Emma Hylen made the start for the Cyclones in the pitcher’s circle, she pitched all seven innings and allowed zero runs off of five hits.

Neither team could get any offense going as the score was 0-0, and there were only two hits combined heading into the fourth inning.

Lewis put the first runs on the board with a two-run home run that give the Cyclones a 2-0 lead in the top of the fourth inning.

The Longhorns were able to put some pressure on the Cyclones defense in the bottom of the fifth as they put runners on second and third with only one out, but Hylen and company earned the outs they needed and held their 2-0 lead heading into the sixth inning.

Texas couldn’t put any runs on the board in the sixth or seventh inning, and Iowa State secured the upset victory.

Iowa State will face the two seed Oklahoma State, who beat Texas 6-2, at 5 p.m. on Friday.