Organic food is a healthy option for students

Lea.Petersen

Eating healthy is a popular topic these days with America’s ever-growing obesity epidemic, but when it comes to eating healthy, the debate between organic and non-organic is a heated discussion.

While an organic apple will have the same nutritional health profile as a non-organic apple, Linda Johnson, general manager at Wheatsfield Cooperative, points out noticeable differences.

“Organic produce is growth without pesticides, additions to soil or any type of spraying that might be added to crops,” Johnson said. “Organic animal products, such as poultices, meats and milks, are made from animals that have been fed organically and have not has any antibiotic treatments.”

Iowa State has its very own organic farm run by undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and Ames community members. The ISU Student Organic Farm is open to everyone.

Paul Beamer, senior in horticulture, enjoys working at the Student Organic Farm for many reasons. He said organic farming practices are beneficial to a person’s health for three reasons: 1. There is no harmful residue left over on the food, 2. There is less oil used to manufacture and ship products and 3. There is no residue left over in the soil.

“The great idea behind organic isn’t always just what is left over on our food, or how much energy was used to make it and ship it,” Beamer said. “Sometimes it’s the concept of preserving the present so our future can use it. If the soils are degraded and mistreated now, how will that affect Earth’s life in the future?”

Rachel Cox, graduate student in agronomy and officer of the Student Organic Farm, invites anyone interested in “learning and experiencing organic farming firsthand” to join.

“Anyone can join and participate in the Student Organic Farm activities,” Cox said. “The best way to get involved is to join our Listserv.”

During the vegetable-growing season, the group meets once a week. Currently, it is meeting Tuesday and Wednesday nights from 5:15 to 8 p.m. During the winter, Student Organic Farm meets monthly.

To join the Listserv, e-mail Cox at [email protected].

Nick Brock, senior in kinesiology and health, said he thinks positively about organic foods.

“I don’t currently eat organically, but would be open to the idea of adding more organic foods to my diet,” Brock said.

Brock, like many students, finds the extra cost of eating organically a deterrent.

“Organic foods do have a price stigma to them,” Johnson said. “But farming organically is more sustainable to the environment because of the lack of pesticides and additives to the soil.”

For students looking to eat organically, Johnson suggests shopping around.

“Wheatsfield Cooperative is very price-conscience and offers weekly and biweekly sales that cut the prices of organic foods,” she said. “It is easy to eat organically while staying within budget.”

Students looking to “health up” their diets need not go 100 percent organic, but even the smallest of changes can do the body good.