Wrestling World Team Trials Takeaways: Carr and Gadson win out, Shapiro falls in quarterfinals

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Then-freshman David Carr takes on another wrestler during the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open on Nov. 3, 2018 in Hilton Coliseum. Fifty-two schools competed during this tournament.

Jack Shover

Two current and one former Iowa State wrestlers competed at the freestyle World Team Trials with David Carr and Kyven Gadson coming on the top of their respective brackets while Joel Shapiro was eliminated in the quarterfinals of his bracket.

The trials ran from Friday to Sunday.

Carr earns a Junior World Team spot

On Saturday, Carr beat Shane Griffith 6-3 and then 6-4 in a best-of-three series to secure a spot on the Junior World Team at 74 kilograms.

Griffith won the Challenge Tournament, which qualified him to face Carr in the best-of-three series to wrestle for the Junior World Team spot. Griffith was a true freshman last year at Stanford.

At the trials, Carr wrestled for the Titan Mercury Wrestling Club rather than the Cyclone Regional Training Center like his teammates. Titan Mercury is an elite wrestling club which had six of the last 10 starters for the Senior World Team training with them including Kyle Snyder, J’Den Cox and Thomas Gilman.

Titan Mercury says their goal for their club is to assist wrestlers in earning medals for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic games.

Gadson earns another shot at Snyder

Former Iowa State collegiate and current Cyclone Regional Training Center wrestler Kyven Gadson defeated Ty Walz of Titan Mercury 3-2 and then 3-0 to win a best-of-three series at the 97 kilogram weight class. The win qualifies Gadson for the Final X series on June 15 in Lincoln, Neb.

Walz was No. 3 on the USA World Team roster behind Gadson, who was the No. 2 wrestler at 97 kilograms.

Gadson was a 2015 National Champion at 197 pounds and a three-time NCAA All-American at Iowa State

Gadson will be wrestling against Snyder  a 2016 Olympic Gold Medalist and two-time World Champion  to be the top Senior World Team member at 97 kilograms.

Snyder has been the top wrestler at 97 kilograms for the World Team since 2015.

Gadson  then a senior  defeated Snyder in 2015 to win his national championship when Snyder was a freshman at Ohio State. Snyder went on to win three national championships

Shapiro loses in the quarterfinals

Shapiro lost 6-3 to Dakota Howard at the 92 kilogram quarterfinals of the Challenge Tournament which eliminated him from contention for a World Team spot.

Howard went 9-2 while wrestling as a true freshman in open tournaments for Virginia Tech last season.

Shapiro went 26-5 last season while wrestling unattached in his redshirt year.