Potential record-breaking class gets settled at Iowa State

Aaron Razo, freshman in geology, gets help moving his TV into Wilson Hall from Tammy Steffen, Move-In Crew member and senior in architecture, on Aug. 17.

Emily Harmon

Hundreds of freshmen and family members could be seen trudging up and down the flights of stairs of Iowa State’s dormitories, making the move into their new home for the next nine months.

As raindrops came splashing down, the new students seemed to take no notice as the mood was one of positivity and excitement. Quick feet to catch the CyRide and families were spotted on the journey over to Martin Hall; but not one grimace or blaring-the-car-horn-at-the-parking-lot mania.

“I feel like one lucky girl”, said Shelby Erickson, freshman in pre-graphic design, during the middle of unpacking for her dorm room in Friley Hall. Spilling over with enthusiasm for her smooth moving experience into what she describes as a “perfect spot,” Erickson had no negative words.

Carter Collins, freshman in genetics, said that Iowa State seemed to have mastered the moving-in experience, even during the high-tempered weather of cold rain to blaring sunshine. Martin Hall is Collin’s new, spacious housing.

“It has been great,” Collins said. “The Move-In Crew was amazing, and I feel like I am part of a community here at Iowa State.”

Leisha Neumann, a freshman in biology who was moving in to Martin Hall, came to Iowa State this year all the way from New Zealand. “This is the Hilton of all dorms,” Neumann said. “The campus is so beautiful and it is just such a friendly place,” said Neumann.

Marc Harding, director of admissions at Iowa State, expects this year’s freshman class to be bigger than the largest in Iowa State’s history, exceeding the 4,654 incoming students in 2001. As a result, residence halls are overflowing. Some students are temporarily calling the dens in the residence halls home.

“We will not find out the exact number of freshmen enrolled until Sept. 7. But we do know,” Harden said, “Iowa State truly is a place students want to be.”