Day one World Team Trials: Carr gets bye, Shapiro goes one for two

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Then-freshman David Carr takes on another wrestler during the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open on Nov. 3, 2018 in Hilton Coliseum. Fifty-two schools competed during this tournament.

Jordan Hamann

This weekend two prominent names from the Cyclone wrestling team are looking to take down the competition in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Redshirt freshmen Joel Shapiro and David Carr were among those vying for a spot on the junior freestyle team as part of the three-day World Team Trials.

Carr was given a bye on his first round match and will wrestle for a spot on the Junior team tomorrow in the best-of-three finals against Stanford freshman Shane Griffith. Shane Griffith, who was 24-2 overall at wrestling unattached at Stanford, was a three-time New Jersey state champion at the 160 pound weight class. Carr, who was 23-1 overall last season wrestling unattached, was a four-time Ohio state champion.

On the other hand, Shapiro fell in his quarterfinal match of the day to Virginia Tech’s Dakota Howard. Howard was the Ohio freestyle champion back in 2017. Shapiro later won in his consolation semifinal match against Arizona State sophomore Kordell Norfleet by a fall.

Norfleet won the PAC-12 championship in the 184 lbs weight class as a freshman during the 2017-18 season. Shapiro, who is 25-5 overall for the Cyclones wrestling unattached, was a two-time Iowa state champion in the 160 lbs and 182 lbs weight classes.

Tomorrow — Carr will look to lock up a Junior World Team spot in a best-of-three match.